Matt Smith smashes new time trial record at Cycling Club Breckland event
- Credit: Graham Frost
Cycling Club Breckland promoted a 15 miles time trial on the B15/1 course near Attleborough on the A11.
Although the road surface is poor and, despite a breezy hot evening, many competition records were set.
Fastest rider and event winner was Matthew Smith of Team Bottrill/HSS Hire who smashed the previous course record by just over a minute to finish in a time of 28:29, averaging a staggering fast 31.5mph average speed, Matthew’s time is now the 15 mile competition record. In second place was Team Velovelocity’s Matthew Senter with a time of 30:20 ahead of third-placed Gary Turnock of Finsbury Park CC in a time of 31:29. Team Velovelocity won the team competition and thus set a competition record with Matthew Smith (30:20), Ben Keeley (31:59) and David Procter (31:31).
Stowmarket and District CC rider Verity Smith won the women’s prize with a time of 34:10, well ahead of VC Norwich’s Jen Smart (36:31).
Further records were set by tricycle riders — a team from Lincoln Wheelers set a tricycle team record with combined times from Andy Newham (35:39), Lez Young (39:27) and Pete Holland (46:29). Andy Hinxman riding for DRAG2Zero rode his tricycle to a sole trike competition record of 33.41 and finish 12th overall.
You may also want to watch:
For CC Breckland Chris Nudds is believed to have set an age record with his time of 34:13, Breckland’s event organiser Mark Fairhead finished in 37:58.
- 1 Have your say over future of growing estate
- 2 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 3 'It's killing me': Abuse victim moved into flat with asbestos and mould
- 4 Poultry company owner says food industry is at 'crisis point'
- 5 Car crashes into central reservation on A11
- 6 Where you are most likely to get your bike stolen in Norfolk
- 7 Abusive man grabbed wife by throat and banged her head on floor
- 8 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 9 Parkruns return to Norfolk for first time since Covid
- 10 Pet crematorium plans submitted but residents have air concerns