Liam hits out for Thetford
Thetford Cricket Club is hoping to attract more youngsters for next season.A good example of how youngsters can progress at the club is seen with promising prospect Liam Conroy, 17.
Thetford Cricket Club is hoping to attract more youngsters for next season.
A good example of how youngsters can progress at the club is seen with promising prospect Liam Conroy, 17.
He has been a member of Thetford CC since the age of six or seven and said the club is looking for more youngsters to build up for the future.
His coach Mick Piggott said: “He has always had lots of potential as a cricketer and he is just beginning to realise that. I'm sure he will be an exciting cricketer in the future.”
Conroy has played county cricket for Norfolk since U15 level.
He won both the bowler and batsmen of the year awards in the Times roll of honour feature this year, hitting 155 and taking 6-17 in Thetford Sunday games and helped them win the Haverson Division Three title in Mid Norfolk Sunday League.
- 1 Try roasties topped with pulled pork at town’s new street food business
- 2 Pair accused of dangerous driving on A11 set for court
- 3 Chase Star to perform at Thetford comedy club
- 4 First cases of monkeypox reported in Suffolk
- 5 New homes plan for former coal yard
- 6 Food review, Lime Kiln Kitchen: ‘A truly relaxing place for Sunday lunch’
- 7 Woman in her 50s who died in A11 crash named locally
- 8 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and meteor showers
- 9 Man charged with burglaries, dangerous driving and assault
- 10 Contact tracing scammers return as Covid rates rise
He is in the sixth form at Thomas Payne school in Thetford and hoping to go to university next year.
“I've been playing county cricket for the past three or four years. It has been good. I would like to get as far as I could, to a really high level,” he said.
He started off as a leg-spin bowler but then improved his batting and likes being an all-rounder.
The last season might be over but county indoor nets will start soon to get the ball rolling once again.
If you want to join Thetford CC, call Mick Piggott on 01842 766442.