League Cup success for Swaffham Town
Swaffham Town are fifth in Division One of the Thurlow Nunn League after losing 2-1 away to bogey side Long Melford.
But they bounced back on Tuesday with a 2-1 home win over Fakenham Town in the League Cup.
Despite some impressive displays at Shoemakers Lane, the Pedlars are generally struggling away – with their 5-0 win at Stowmarket a notable expection.
The pitch at Melford did not provide the best surface for close football and Swaffham did well to avoid being sucked into a game of ‘hoof and run’ as has happened previous seasons.
Swaffham took the lead in the 13th minute, Joe Jackson notching up another goal, a through ball from Loui Hockton, Jackson running on, knocking past the keeper’s left. The game ebbed and flowed with neither keeper put under any real pressure.
It took Long Melford until the 77th minute to equalise, a well-placed shot leaving keeper Scott Cruikshank no chance. Melford’s winner came five minutes later, a defensive error gifting the scoring opportunity.
There was a concern for manager Paul Hunt when Joe Jackson received a knock to the head and Dean Miller fell heavily, injuring his shoulder.
- 1 Thetford pupil Oxford-bound after hat-trick of A* grades
- 2 A-levels 2022: All the results from Norfolk and Waveney
- 3 Council’s wildlife camera stolen from conservation area
- 4 West Norfolk village pub to reopen as bed and breakfast after sale
- 5 How a new Norfolk forest helped heal the nation's timber industry
- 6 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 7 Truss claims UK workers need 'more graft' in leaked statement
- 8 'Help yourself' - farmer gives away tonnes of onions damaged by heatwave
- 9 Parish council weighs in on row over 'rollercoaster' racking
- 10 Norfolk Restaurant Week returning for 2022 with discounts across county
On Saturday the First Team are at home to League unbeaten leaders, Cambridge University Press, kick off 3pm.
The Reserves had better fortune at the weekend, a 1-0 win at home against Hoveton Wherrymen, George Hutton the scorer. This Saturday they are away to Loddon United Reserves kick off 2.30pm, the ‘A’ Team visit Bridgham, k/o 3pm.