League campaign ends successfully for Thetford athletes
- Credit: Submitted
Thetford Athletics Club competed in the final East Anglian Youth League meeting of the summer track and field season at Bury St Edmunds.
Once again, in a season full of personal bests and outstanding achievements from many, Thetford athletes failed to disappoint on the final day and there were a number of notable results to celebrate.
Maddie Rolph got the ball rolling with a PB of 15.1 seconds in the 100m sprint. Rolph then went on to win the 800m B-string race with a time of 2:50.8.
The 800m event proved successful for Thetford’s under-13 girls with Jessica Norkett winning the A-string race with a new PB of 2:37.6.
U13s Ben Garrod and Cameron Try both recorded personal best runs in the 200m sprint, achieving times of 32.7 and 34.0 respectively. It was a double PB for Garrod on his way to finishing third in the 800m with a time of 2:46.9 whilst Cameron Try achieved his second PB of the day in the long jump competition where he leapt 3.88m to finish third.
You may also want to watch:
Newcomer, Jeremy Pirt, was victorious in the U13 discus competition, launching the discus to a PB throw of 12.31m for first place. In her first outing in a Thetford vest, Victoria Iwuoha recorded a victory in the U15 high jump with a leap of 1.15m enough to win the event.
There were also PBs in the 100m where Iwuoha recorded a time of 15.0 and in the shot put where she threw 6.70m. There was a PB run for Joe Smythe in the 200m sprint, recording a time of 28.4.
- 1 Wanted man identified after Thetford shop burglary
- 2 Brandon bungalow blaze thought to be started by faulty boiler
- 3 Night out safety advice issued after drink-spiking reports in Norfolk
- 4 Father and son admit handling stolen power tools
- 5 Man due in court in connection with Norfolk stab attack
- 6 Bryan Cranston to Meghan Markle - how USO show brings stars to our region
- 7 Work starts on new £4.2m housing project in Norfolk village
- 8 Sex abuse survivor hits out at attacker's sentence
- 9 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 10 Two men arrested on suspicion of money laundering in Thetford
Three Thetford U15 boys all recorded PB runs in the 300m sprint with Harley Swan recording 41.8, Aiden Try running 42.2 whilst Tom Mead crossed the line in 45.1. There were to be a further two PBs for Aiden Try with a throw of 7.48m in the shot put good enough for third place whilst a throw of 26.80m secured fifth spot in the javelin.
Charlie Stone was Thetford’s sole male competitor in the U17 track events, running a time of 2:21.8 to win the 800m B-string event.
There was a third-place finish in the hammer throw for Joseph Nicholson with a best distance of the day of 37.01m. U17 female, Mia Browne won the hammer throw with a distance of 44.00m.
U20 athlete Jordan Turner finished third in the hammer throw with a distance of 25.42m whilst senior male, Josh Pirt, recorded a PB in the shot put with a throw of 8.24m good enough for third.