Leaders too tough for Thetford
Great Yarmouth 3, Thetford Town 1THETFORD Town, who this week host Ipswich Wanderers (3pm), travelled to Ridgeons Division One leaders Great Yarmouth and got off to a great start.
Great Yarmouth 3, Thetford Town 1
THETFORD Town, who this week host Ipswich Wanderers (3pm), travelled to Ridgeons Division One leaders Great Yarmouth and got off to a great start.
They took an 11th-minute lead when a pass from Davies found Mann who powered into the area to cross for Dixon to strike home at the near post.
The game then went from end to end and Yarmouth equalised on 19 minutes when a long ball seemed to deceive the Town defence and was steered home on the goal line.
You may also want to watch:
Town then applied some pressure but chances were not taken. On 23 minutes Yarmouth had a chance which was cleared off the line by Thompson and then Mann had a good chance on 33 minutes from a corner which broke to Yarmouth who wasted a good chance.
A good move by Town down the left saw a Haynes cross just too high and was cleared.
- 1 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 2 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 3 Potential for 30C today – but two days of thunderstorms on the way
- 4 Drugs most often seized by Norfolk police revealed
- 5 US servicemen commemorate death of RAF Lakenheath pilot in crash tragedy
- 6 Six figure commitment agreed to pursue Suffolk bus improvement strategy
- 7 Care home creates mini golf course in its garden
- 8 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 9 School praised for 'effective action' to address serious failings
- 10 Should Covid jabs be made mandatory for care home workers?
On the stroke of half-time Town conceded a free-kick and this resulted in McGee slotting the kick into the top left-hand corner.
Yarmouth had an early chance in the second half, but it Town who nearly equalised when Money stole in at the far post only to see the keeper scramble it for a corner.
Yarmouth always looked dangerous on the break and from one of them they hit the bar on 52 minutes and it was cleared.
Town had a rare corner on 60 minutes but this was cleared.
Yarmouth sealed the points on 70 minutes when Town's defence went missing, only for Roach to strike the ball into the roof of the net.
Both teams were reduced to 10 men in the closing minutes when Davies was dismissed and the last Town effort from Collins-Reed nearly ended up on the sea front.
Yarmouth achieved a double with a 3-0 win over Town Reserves.
This Saturday the Reserves are at Stowmarket, 3pm kick-off.