Leaders Norwich United prove too strong again for Thetford Town
Thetford Town will be glad to see the back of Norwich United this season.
The Thurlow Nunn Premier Division leaders have beaten the Brecklanders four times this season, scoring 14 goals and conceding none in the process.
The latest defeat to the Planters came in the league on Saturday, in front of a good crowd of 169 at Mundford Road thanks to an earlier midday kick-off as part of the Thurlow Nunn groundhopper weekend initiative.
Norwich took the lead after just five minutes when Adam Hipperson crossed for Ben Thompson, who rolled the ball past Thetford goalkeeper Scott Cruickshank.
Visiting captain Andy Eastaugh and star striker Matt Blake, from Thetford, both went close for Norwich but Thetford survived at just 1-0 through to half-time.
There was to be no comeback though, Blake making sure he scored in all four games against his hometown club this campaign in the 57th minute, thanks to a lovely pass from full-back Andy Cusack.
That goal took the 26-year-old’s tally for the season to 37 goals in 40 games in all competitions.
- 1 Roads to have speed limit cut to 30mph after death sparks campaign
- 2 Serious road crash hotspots in Norfolk revealed as fatalities fall
- 3 'A posy fit for a Queen' - Winners crowned in school Jubilee competition
- 4 Escaped cows block traffic on A1065 in Suffolk
- 5 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 6 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 7 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 8 Education bursary worth £1,000 launched to mark Queen's Jubilee
- 9 WATCH: Big Jet TV films at RAF Lakenheath to mark new Top Gun movie
- 10 Homes destroyed after blaze breaks out in terraced housing
James Pipe had an opportunity to pull one back for the hosts in the 80th minute after a defensive mix up but Steve Shipley tackled back to deny the Thetford striker.
Mark Scott’s side remain 11 points clear of relegation worries and do not have a match this Saturday, returning to action on Tuesday night away at mid-table rivals Whitton United.
Thetford Reserves sit sixth in Division Six of the Anglian Combination after a 1-1 home draw with leaders UEA Reserves on Saturday, Kyle Parish on target.