Ladies draw final game
NERVES got the better of Thetford Ladies in the first half of this testing final game of the season, drawing 5-5 with hosts Pelicans.But, true to the grit and determination they have displayed this year, the ladies settled to pull off an outstanding performance in a nail-biting finish.
NERVES got the better of Thetford Ladies in the first half of this testing final game of the season, drawing 5-5 with hosts Pelicans.
But, true to the grit and determination they have displayed this year, the ladies settled to pull off an outstanding performance in a nail-biting finish.
Pelicans Colts used the pitch well, passing quickly and accurately to meltdown Thetford's resolve and punishing the defence.
One player left unmarked made sure of the first goal for Pelicans. Davina Rolph played hard to win the ball and cut out players.
You may also want to watch:
Dawn Heavey provided Thetford's answer very quickly from a short corner, but Pelicans scored again before the half-time whistle blew.
After a tough team talk, Thetford Ladies finally settled into the second half. Charlie Harwood and Kathy Hammond were exceptional, keeping the opposition's defence under pressure. Sarah Fitchett and Emma Nicholson put in a huge amount of effort, with Heavey playing her heart out in midfield.
- 1 Parts of Thetford hit by flooding due to heavy rain
- 2 47 new homes planned for Suffolk village
- 3 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 4 Man rescued from van after collision with tractor
- 5 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 6 Augmented reality Gruffalo trail launches in forest
- 7 Have your say over future of growing estate
- 8 'Slow down, save lives' - Police launch speed awareness campaign
- 9 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 10 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
Karen Hodgkinson and Tracey Newman worked their magic on the right. Harwood levelled the score.
Pelicans blistering runs paid off for them again as they scored to make it 3-2. Rosemary Ladner was on her toes, making important saves.
Heavey scored to level again, followed by another Harwood special to put Thetford in the lead.
Some excellent hockey and great team spirit put Thetford in good stead to keep up the battle. Pelicans levelled again, followed very quickly by an answer from Heavey.
A final short corner in the dying minutes of the match saw Pelicans draw.
Thetford goal scorers Dawn Heavey (3), Charlie Harwood (2).