Ladies come away with top prize in popular competition at Thetford Golf Club
- Credit: Archant
There was a Summer Shotgun start at Thetford Golf Club with 23 teams in action — and it was a team of ladies who carried off the top prizes.
Kath Malvern, Sharon Caws, Jane Herrington and Jenny Rowe came in with 89 points in the best-two-from-four competition to win by one point from Daryl Breen, Daniel Franklin, Craig Estlea and Rob Johnson.
Third place went to Dan Traher, Ross Sanford, Nick Barnes and Charlie Bick with 87 points.
The Seniors’ June Stableford was won by Malcolm Wright with 39 points off his handicap of 22. He pipped 12-handicap John Baldwin on countback.
Other scores: 36 Nolan Newbury (15), Geoff Clements (11) and Ted Alford (21); 35 Steve Cobb (10), Alan Ashcroft (17) and John Balster (14); 34 Robert Baldwin (20), Derek Barton (14), Andy Rooney (18) and Roger Smith (9); 33 Phil Allwork (24), Phil Halford (13) and Robert Setchell (4); 32 Gary Roberts (8) and Alan Phillips (14).
You may also want to watch:
Thetford Ladies gained a creditable half away to Dereham in Division Three of the Norfolk Inter-Club League. Kath Malvern and Wendy Puttock both won their matches on the 17th green while Jess Dixon, Sue Pitcher and Jan Bone halved their matches. One putt either way could have swung any of those matches — and the overall result. As it was, a 3½-3½ draw was a fair outcome.
Thetford men kept their hopes alive in the Norfolk Handicap League when they avenged defeat in the away match by beating Barnham Broom 3-1. John Ward and Peter Croker, Terry Stephenson and Simon Gorrod and Arron Gaskell and Ryan Woods were the Thetford winners.
- 1 Harley-Davidson motorcyclist dies in A134 crash
- 2 Van overturns while trying to enter A11 petrol station
- 3 Closures near A11 roundabout after crash involving motorcycle and van
- 4 What is the fuel situation looking like in Thetford?
- 5 Norfolk man in a relationship with teen he abducted, court told
- 6 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 7 Thetford man charged with abduction of 17-year-old girl
- 8 Drivers delayed following accident in Brandon
- 9 Police still at scene of serious crash between van and motorcycle
- 10 Main road reopens more than six hours after 'serious' crash
Thetford Seniors lost 4½-1½ at Barnham Broom — Gary Goodchild and Jim Neal were the only winners, with Trevor Wignall and Brian Maiden securing a half.
Meanwhile the Swaffham Ladies Am-Am was held in beautiful weather, with 112 players taking part.
The raffle raised £363 for the ladies’ captain Lu Claridge’s charity, the East Anglian Air Ambulance.
Leading teams: Christina Mitchell, Sue Hutchings, Jane Hood and Sammy Bowls from Eaton and Sheringham 97 points, Maria Grayston, Linda Shepherd, Jane Gurney-Read and Sam Steward from Wensum Valley and Royal Cromer 95, Denise Walker, Mary Sail, Ann Waters and Linda Alexander from Haverhill 92.