'Impressive' Mexican driver joins Norfolk-based team's F3 line-up
- Credit: Elite Motorsport
An "impressive" 16-year-old from Mexico has become the third and final member of a Norfolk-based racing team's British Formula 3 line-up.
San Luis Potosí-born José Garfias has been announced as Shipdham-based Elite Motorsport's final driver in the 2021 BRDC F3 Championship.
Garfias began carting at the age of 11, winning multiple races before his first season of car racing in October 2019.
The 16-year-old netted fourth place in the 2019-20 North and Central American Formula 4 Championship, impressively recording 15 top-five placings in the 20 race series including three victories.
As with recently announced F3 team-mate Javier Sagrera Pont, the signing of Garfias with Elite Motorsport has been facilitated by Seven GP, a driver development programme, formed in the '80s by Mexican Picho Toledano.
Elite Motorsport team owner, Eddie Ives, said: “I’m very much looking forward to welcoming José into our team.
“José impressed me in his initial F3 test at Valencia last December, he was very quick considering his experience.
"He’ll be embarking on his maiden F3 season and like Javier, racing in Britain for the first time, but I’m certain with some races under his belt, he’ll score some good results during the course of the year."
Also joining Garfias is 15-year-old Tom Lebbon from Bury St Edmunds, who won last year's Ginetta Junior Championship in his maiden season of car racing.
"My goal for this season is to learn and gain more experience," the Mexican said. "Hopefully I can have success along the way.
- 1 Homes destroyed after blaze breaks out in terraced housing
- 2 Thetford homes left with 'significant' damage following blaze
- 3 100 East Anglian events you cannot miss this summer
- 4 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 5 Man charged after robbing bookmakers with a knife in Suffolk town
- 6 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 7 Man caught drink driving over three times the legal limit in Suffolk town
- 8 Share of £120,000 cash pot on offer to Breckland groups
- 9 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 10 Former military man appointed as council's new chairman
"I am very excited for 2021 because racing in Europe, and F3, will be something completely new for me.
“I can’t wait for the season to start, racing on the famous tracks in Britain, and to work with the guys at Elite Motorsport.
“I would also like to thank everyone who is involved in this exciting project. For the support from Seven GP and to Eddie [Ives] for giving me this amazing opportunity.”
The 24-race F3 season is scheduled to begin at Brands Hatch on May 22-23.