Jessica at the double with pair of fine performances
- Credit: Archant
Thetford Athletic Club’s Jessica Norkett has completed a double of fine performances.
She began with a midweek silver medal at the Norfolk Schools Cross Country Championships with a second-placed finish in the junior girls category with a time of 11:46.
Norkett followed this up with a creditable 30th-place finish in the South of England Cross Country Championships at Parliament Hill in London. Her time of 17:46 and her position were all the more impressive when taking into account the fact that 270 of the best young athletes completed the U15 girls’ race.
Aiden Try also finished high up the order in the Norfolk Cross Country Championships, held at the Norfolk Showground, with sixth place in the intermediate boys’ category with a time of 18:22.
Both Try’s and Norkett’s performances have earned them places in the Norfolk Schools team for the forthcoming Anglian Schools Cross Country competition in Northampton.
Try also made the top 100 in the U17 men’s race at the South of England Cross Country Championships, finishing in 99th place, out of the 183 participants, with a time of 22:10. U17. Charlie Stone was 170th with a time of 24:36. A time of 19:51 earned Tyler Howard 267th place in the U15 boys’ event whilst Abigail Clouston finished 153rd with a time of 14:09 in the U13 girls’ race.
Meanwhile, at Ryston Runners’ latest round of the Cross Country Grand Prix Series at Shouldham Thorpe, Thetford’s Ben Peck finished sixth in the U11 boys’ race with a time of 9:24 followed in seventh by Daniel Clouston, also recording a time of 9:24. Callum Wing was just two places further back in ninth spot with a time of 9:33.
- 1 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 2 Power tools stolen after van broken into
- 3 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
- 4 From meat in supermarkets to beer in pubs - what is getting more expensive?
- 5 Norfolk football boss 'so proud' after inspiring player to come out
- 6 Blackpool player cites Norfolk footballer as inspiration after coming out
- 7 Police stop 85 vehicles in one day amid safety crackdown
- 8 Police examine CCTV in Thetford rape investigation
- 9 Nominations open for Thetford Business Awards 2023
- 10 Quad bike stolen from home in west Suffolk
There was a third place for James Peck in the U13 boys’ race, recording a time of 11:13. Abigail Clouston finished in an identical spot when crossing the line in the U13 girls’ race with a time of 12:26. There was a second place for Charlie Stone in the U17 race with a time of 18:36.
Tina Plumley was amongst the best of the senior performers with a win in the V45 category with a time of 21:26. There were second places for Kevin Vaughan in the V50 race and Sabine Schaefer in the V35 category with times of 17:49 and 20:22 respectively.