It’s a case of sweet 16th hole for Brian as he nails his second ace at Thetford GC
- Credit: Archant
Former Thetford Golf Club captain Brian Chadwick recorded the second hole-in-one of his career when he sank his tee shot at the 16th hole, using a seven iron.
Brian, who was club captain in 2014, was playing a friendly round along with Barry Brackenborough and Alan Brown.
All three players hit the green and it was only when they identified the balls that they realised that Alan was about eight feet short of the hole, Barry was within 18 inches of it – and Brian was in the hole.
It meant the scores for the hole were 3-2-1.
Brian’s previous ace was at the 11th seven or eight years ago.
Brad Smith, the newest member of staff at Thetford Golf Club’s pro shop, had an impressive round of level-par 72 to win the Thetford leg of the Golf Days UK Norfolk Tour on Friday.
Brad, a two handicap, picked up 38 points to win by two from seven-handicapper Nick Stinson with Dylan Green in third position with 35 off a handicap of one.
- 1 Homes with dedicated support for rough sleepers to be built in Thetford
- 2 Council buys disused building to regenerate town's riverfront
- 3 Music-loving dad whose ashes were fired into festival crowd took own life
- 4 These are the dog breeds given up most at a Norfolk rehoming centre
- 5 Rescued Mariah and Carey recovering after A11 crash
- 6 'Threat to democracy' - Opposition fears council's constitution change
- 7 Council leader refuses to condemn Downing Street parties
- 8 Jess Glynne cancels summer show in Thetford Forest
- 9 Liz Truss sidesteps leadership question as she backs 'fantastic' PM
- 10 Medals awarded to esteemed military man to go under the hammer
Thetford’s Iain Yule, who plays off scratch, recovered from a poor start to return 31 points.
Scores were high for the Ladies’ March monthly medal, but Sandra Smith bucked the trend with an excellent nett 72 to win Division Two.
Sandra, playing off 28, finished nine strokes ahead of Shirley Spreadbury (22 handicap) with Linda Connor, who was third with 81 off 36.
Other scores were: Division One: Sheila Spreadborough 99-19-80 on countback from Janice Bone 94-14-80, Jennifer Rowe 101-20-81.
Saturday Medal, Division One: Sharon Caws 93-15-78, Carolyn Beaumont 95-16-79, Kath Malvern 89-7-82. Division Two: Val Gallagher 115-30-85, Pauline O’Sullivan 113-26-87, Gwen Dixon 120-32-88.
A total of 47 players entered the March Midweek Stableford and the winner was Lewis King with 38 points off his handicap of 13.
He pipped 16-handicap Derek Kneebone on countback.
Other scores: 37 John Clark (13); 36 Martin Jackson (11), Brad Smith (3) and Terry Young (12); 34 Tom Green (15), Bob Fletcher (11) and Jason Huggins (6); 33 Mark Lingard (11); 32 Alan Hitchborn (11), Doug Stephen (9), Trevor Wignall (10), Iain Yule (0), Graham Kemp (13) and Martin Lash (20); 31 Neil Elers (15), Mike Hillyard (9), Chris White (9) and Norman Hargreaves (19).