Great finale for Thetford

THETFORD Town completed a great Ridgeons Division One season with a 3-1 win at local rivals Swaffham.

Manager Mark Scott said: “We’ve ended the season on a high. It was a very, very good game and a great result. I’m very pleased.”

He added it was nice Matty Blake had scored twice in his last game before joining Needham Market. “He has got a good future ahead of him,” said Scott.

Blake’s double saw Thetford go into the break 2-0 up. “Then Swaffham pulled a goal back and gave it a really good go. They made a really good game of it. With a few minutes to go, Aaron Joseph broke from the back and scored a fantastic goal.”

Thetford must now wait for the result of Saturday’s game between Saffron Walden and Gorleston.

A draw or a win for the Greens would see Thetford finish fifth in the table ahead of Walden.

Swaffham 1, Thetford Town 3

Most Read

THETFORD had early chances through Blake and Richards but the game then settled down.

Town had a good chance when Dixon shot wide. Town took the lead on 40 minutes when a Blake free-kick went through the wall and beat the keeper. Town then increased their lead just before the break when Mann flicked a header to Blake who went round the keeper to score.

Town, facing a strong wind, saw Swaffham apply more pressure and they pulled a goal back when Jackson scored with a first-time shot.

Soon after, they then hit the bar but Town weathered the pressure and the defence, well marshalled by Richards, Joseph, Carter and Bailey stood firm.

Jones had a good chance to increase Town’s lead but shot over the bar. Town sealed the points when a good run and finish by Joseph saw him score a well-deserved goal.

Thetford 5, Cornard 0

THETFORD completed their home fixtures on Saturday with a comfortable 5-0 win over Cornard United.

Town opened the scoring when good work from Joseph found Fancett whose left-foot shot from the edge of the area gave the keeper no chance.

Bowden made several good saves from Cornard.

Town increased their lead when good work from Fancett found Dixon who turned a defender and slotted the ball home from an acute angle.

Town continued to apply pressure with Dixon going close. Cornard had a chance just before Skipp had a close- range effort brilliantly saved by the Walker. Blake then had an effort saved.

Dixon was brought down in the area and he sent the keeper the wrong way to net.

Dixon completed his hat-trick from a cross from O’Donnell and Blake completed the scoring on 90 minutes with a lob.