Focus shifts to FA Cup tie with Norwich United for Thetford Town
League leaders Ipswich Wanderers brought an end to Thetford Town’s winning start to the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division season.
The Brecklanders had won both their opening league fixtures, as well as their FA Cup extra preliminary round clash with Swaffham Town.
But that 100pc start was ended in Suffolk on Saturday, despite a valiant effort against the division’s early pace-setters.
Paris Tuwizana put Ipswich ahead in just the eighth minute but Thetford hit back soon after half-time when James Dean, who had just been introduced from the substitutes’ bench, levelled the score.
Mark Scott’s side weren’t able to hang on to the point though, with David Heath’s goal in the 64th minute proving enough for Ipswich to take the win.
There is a break from league action for Thetford this weekend though, as they turn back on to the road to Wembley in the FA Cup.
The 1-0 home win against Swaffham a fortnight ago earned the Brecklanders a home clash with another Norfolk rival in the preliminary round, Norwich United.
- 1 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 2 Weather warning extended as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 3 Firefighters remain on scene of huge forest fire near country park
- 4 Elizabethan manor house with 20 acres and a pool on sale for £2.75m
- 5 Shed left destroyed after garden fire in west Suffolk
- 6 Anger as 'rollercoaster' appears at bottom of woman's garden
- 7 20 fire engines and 90 firefighters contain large forest blaze
- 8 'Delightful' pug and 'loveable' rottweiler among dogs looking for new homes
- 9 Town to host free outdoor screening of Encanto with street food stalls
- 10 'Could have caused explosion': Eco-warrior stops Thetford fire spreading
The Planters come to Mundford Road for a 7.45pm kick-off on Friday night, with a home tie in the first qualifying round up for grabs for the winner.
That will be against either Wisbech Town, of the United Counties League Premier Division, or fellow Thurlow Nunn Premier side Kirkley & Pakefield, who play at Wisbech on Saturday.
n Thetford Reserves got off to a flying start in Division Six of the Anglian Combination, winning 9-0 at home against Mundford Reserves. Oliver Standby scored four, joined by two from Bruno Tavares and one apiece from Noah Eastwood, Fabio Almeida and Benjamin Conroy.