First win sees Thetford rise
Ipswich Wanderers 1, Thetford Town 2THETFORD Town travelled to Ipswich Wanderers and recorded their first win of the season to rise off the bottom of the Ridgeons Division One table. On a very bumpy pitch, Wanderers put Town under pressure with the dangerous Swann testing Corston with some early shots.
Ipswich Wanderers 1, Thetford Town 2
THETFORD Town travelled to Ipswich Wanderers and recorded their first win of the season.
On a very bumpy pitch, Wanderers put Town under pressure with the dangerous Swann testing Corston with some early shots. Town replied with new signing Gibbons putting in a good cross with no one to finish. Ipswich took the lead on 14 minutes when a cross from the left was converted by Swann.
Town replied and Howard broke through only to see the keeper save at the second attempt. Then Thompson did well out-jumping the keeper only to see his effort go wide.
The game had chances at both ends with Corston the busier keeper but no real threats. Just on half time Davies appeared to equalise for Town but it was ruled off side. Half time 0-1.
Town got off to a great start when within two minutes Davies scored a good ball found him on the right and with the keeper advancing he lobbed the keeper into the bottom corner of the net.
- 1 First-time publicans transform their local and are already winning awards
- 2 Seven Suffolk villages that have received national recognition
- 3 More F-35 squadrons to be stationed in Suffolk to boost US presence
- 4 Remarkable life of the Duleep Singhs explored in new exhibition
- 5 Pair accused of dangerous driving on A11 set for court
- 6 Try roasties topped with pulled pork at town’s new street food business
- 7 Chase Star to perform at Thetford comedy club
- 8 What the average Norfolk house price can buy you in the county's towns
- 9 Woman in her 50s who died in A11 crash named locally
- 10 First cases of monkeypox reported in Suffolk
Ipswich responded and Town rode their luck but Corston looked comfortable for Town but town did look dangerous on the break, and on 70 minutes Mann had a good chance but his shot went over the bar.
Town took the lead on 75 minutes when a cross from Davies was met by the head of Simon Mann who headed past the keeper. Town then endured some late pressure with an outstanding save from Corston on 85 minutes to ensure Town took all three points. Final score 2-1.
This Saturday they travel to Stowmarket Town, 3pm kick off.
The Reserves started their campaign with a 6-5 defeat at Woodbridge Town.
The Under 18's have a friendly tomorrow against Norwich United, 7.45pm kick off.