First win sees Thetford rise
Ipswich Wanderers 1, Thetford Town 2THETFORD Town travelled to Ipswich Wanderers and recorded their first win of the season to rise off the bottom of the Ridgeons Division One table. On a very bumpy pitch, Wanderers put Town under pressure with the dangerous Swann testing Corston with some early shots.
Ipswich Wanderers 1, Thetford Town 2
THETFORD Town travelled to Ipswich Wanderers and recorded their first win of the season.
On a very bumpy pitch, Wanderers put Town under pressure with the dangerous Swann testing Corston with some early shots. Town replied with new signing Gibbons putting in a good cross with no one to finish. Ipswich took the lead on 14 minutes when a cross from the left was converted by Swann.
Town replied and Howard broke through only to see the keeper save at the second attempt. Then Thompson did well out-jumping the keeper only to see his effort go wide.
You may also want to watch:
The game had chances at both ends with Corston the busier keeper but no real threats. Just on half time Davies appeared to equalise for Town but it was ruled off side. Half time 0-1.
Town got off to a great start when within two minutes Davies scored a good ball found him on the right and with the keeper advancing he lobbed the keeper into the bottom corner of the net.
- 1 Mother still 'grieving' for son who suffered life-changing brain injuries in crash
- 2 Mini science centre to feature at town's riverside development
- 3 Before the blaze: Elveden Forest Center Parcs in its early years
- 4 A11 reopens following earlier collision
- 5 Garden centre launches outdoor eating with wood-fired pizza and waffles
- 6 Norfolk County Council elections 2021: Who is standing in Breckland?
- 7 Man found near air base with gun, axe and lock knife sentenced
- 8 Warning over con artists trying 'council tax' scam in Norfolk
- 9 Military drones to fly above Norfolk RAF base
- 10 American marines fly to Suffolk to join Dambusters on new aircraft carrier
Ipswich responded and Town rode their luck but Corston looked comfortable for Town but town did look dangerous on the break, and on 70 minutes Mann had a good chance but his shot went over the bar.
Town took the lead on 75 minutes when a cross from Davies was met by the head of Simon Mann who headed past the keeper. Town then endured some late pressure with an outstanding save from Corston on 85 minutes to ensure Town took all three points. Final score 2-1.
This Saturday they travel to Stowmarket Town, 3pm kick off.
The Reserves started their campaign with a 6-5 defeat at Woodbridge Town.
The Under 18's have a friendly tomorrow against Norwich United, 7.45pm kick off.