First win delight for Thetford Rugby Club
Lakenham Hewett 11, Thetford 38
RUGBY: This result may not be as important as England v New Zealand next week at Twickenham, but for the Thetford players it meant a lot with their first league win in over a year.
Playing into the wind Thetford started brightly with some strong runs from their pack of forwards led by number eight Martin Sands.
Finding Lakenham hard to break down Thetford began to give away a string of penalties relieving the pressure, following one of these penalties Thetford found themselves in their own 22 metre where a blindside break by the Lakenham scrum-half resulted in an easy score for the winger.
Suddenly Lakenham were on the front foot but try as they might they could not cross the Thetford try line thanks to some stout defence.
You may also want to watch:
Sensing Lakenham were tiring Thetford began to spread the ball wide where vintage centre and Dexter’s man-of-the-match David Tanner was beginning to organise his talented young backs into an attacking force. Showing he could roll back the years Tanner made a strong powerful run through the Lakenham defence to set up winger Stu Awcock to score.
Seeing defenders fall off tackles number eight Martin Sands took up the baton, charging over next to the posts to make the half-time score Lakenham 5, Thetford 11.
- 1 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 3 'Vital' washing and cooking facilities to help homeless opens in town
- 4 Norfolk and Suffolk election 2021: No change in Breckland
- 5 Emotional great grandma meets nine-month-old twins for first time
- 6 Before the blaze: Elveden Forest Center Parcs in its early years
- 7 6 things to do as temperatures set to rise to 21C
- 8 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 9 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 10 Town planning for future of theatre and swimming pool at historic convent
After the half-time team talk coach Neal Thynne was left somewhat bemused when the Thetford pack gave away another string of penalties to allow Lakenham to claw their way back to 12-11.
A time for cool heads was required and up stepped fly-half Tony Watson converting three penalties in quick succession. Thetford sensed Lakenham tiring again and began to move the ball; a deft chip by Tanner was gathered by Matt Bailey to score in the corner, Adam Harper converting.
Adam Harper then went on to score himself joining the backline from fullback at speed to score. The final word was left to Dave Tanner following good continuity between the forwards and backs the ball was moved from left to right where Tanner ghosted in to make the final score Thetford 38, Lakenham 11.
Anybody interested in playing rugby should contact Ollie Taylor. Training is every Tuesday and Thursday at Thetford Rugby Club, Two Mile Bottom at 7pm.