First Anglian Combination win of season for Brandon United at Corton
Corton 2 Brandon Town 4
Brandon picked up their first points of 2012 with an excellent away win in tricky conditions.
On a sticky surface Town kicked with the strong wind at their backs, but it was the hosts who made the early chances in the game.
Barlow had to make a smart save after the wind caught the Brandon back line out and this seemed to kick the visitors into gear.
Turner and Bethell started to cause havoc for the home defence and, from a slick passing move Bethell was unlucky to hit the bar. But Brandon didn’t have to wait much longer to break the deadlock as Bland’s shot was parried out and Green latched on to the loose ball before lobbing into the far corner of the net. The second goal came when Turner won the ball and found Leech, whose superb through ball found Bethell, who rounded the full-back and cut back for Leech to fire in from 10 yards.
You may also want to watch:
Brandon knew their 2-0 interval advantage wouldn’t be enough against a strong wind and that they would have to come out and attack.
The back four of Fincham, Tuffs Nocton and Kukuirus stood firm. allowing Brandon to counter attack at will. From one of these a superb move saw Green cross for Turner, who rounded the keeper to score.
- 1 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 2 Two men arrested on suspicion of money laundering in Thetford
- 3 Gym becomes community hub with café and barber shop
- 4 Retired firefighter looks back at four-day Thetford factory blaze 30 years on
- 5 Four-car crash leaves pregnant woman in hospital
- 6 Cat left 'terrified' after being dumped next to road by driver
- 7 Pretty town centre terrace is for sale by auction - and it needs doing up!
- 8 The story of Mildenhall's workhouses uncovered after 100 years
- 9 21-year-old airlifted to hospital after car crashes into trees
- 10 New community hub for Thetford after girl's terrifying attack
Corton reduced the arrears from a corner but Brandon made it 4-1 when Turner again outfoxed the defence and rolled home his second. With the last kick Corton again scored from a corner.
This weekend Town travel to local rivals Watton (2pm), who lost 6-3 at Horsford on Saturday.
Brandon reserves made it four wins on the bounce with Horrex scoring one goal and making three in a 4-2 win. On Saturday they host Easton Res (2pm).