Fab team effort pays off for Thetford
A BRILLIANT team effort from Thetford CC's first XI ensured a comfortable return to winning ways after beating their Dersingham counterparts at home.Thetford won the toss and put the visitors into bat, with opening bowler Jason Peters striking early to take the wickets of Mallett and Havers in successive balls.
A BRILLIANT team effort from Thetford CC's first XI ensured a comfortable return to winning ways after beating their Dersingham counterparts at home.
Thetford won the toss and put the visitors into bat, with opening bowler Jason Peters striking early to take the wickets of Mallett and Havers in successive balls.
These however were to be the only wickets for a while, as D Sayers (26) and Poll (48) put on 52 for the third wicket.
This was broken up with the introduction of Liam Conroy, his persistence causing Sayers to play onto his own wicket.
Poll and new batsman M Sayers looked to take the attack to the Thetford bowlers, a flurry of big hitting from the latter, looking to rack up a big score for Dersingham.
A 56-run stint from 44 balls was ended in the same way as Poll's innings, edging Danny Phelps behind to Ryan Conroy - who had an outstanding game with the gloves.
- 1 Norfolk zoo keeper abandoned as a baby reunited with mother in ITV show
- 2 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 3 Rugby club hoping to 'ignite' interest following pandemic
- 4 Tesco recalls pastry product over risks to people with nut allergies
- 5 Homes destroyed after blaze breaks out in terraced housing
- 6 Thetford homes left with 'significant' damage following blaze
- 7 Man charged after robbing bookmakers with a knife in Suffolk town
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Share of £120,000 cash pot on offer to Breckland groups
- 10 Man caught drink driving over three times the legal limit in Suffolk town
This stand proved to be vital for the visitors, because of very little resistance from the tail, it was the only way a respectable total would have been produced.
Liam Conroy (2-39), Jason Peters (3-59), Lewis Greyson (1-20) and Danny Phelps (3-36) all restricting Dersingham to 200-9.
The Thetford chase began as brightly as any other week, L Conroy and P Terry attacking the visiting openers.
The partnership was only broken when Terry had to retire hurt, but this did not stop the momentum.
M Piggott came to the crease and along with Conroy, who eventually fell for 49, produced a solid platform for Thetford.
Piggott's partners came and went, as Alex Dennis (32), Ryan Conroy (10) and Darren Newey all played support acts to his main role.
It was left to Piggott though, with a brilliant 61, sensibly steering Thetford home for the win in the 43rd over.
Two fours in a row brought up the golden total of 203-4.
Meanwhile, Thetford CC will be hosting a Twenty-20 game against a Tesco XI on Wednesday, July 14, at 6pm at Mundford Road (behind the sports centre).
A club spokesman said: “There will be a barbecue and the licensed bar will be open all evening. Many thanks to Tesco Thetford, who will be sponsoring the event. All are welcome and we look forward to seeing you there.”