Ely made to pay the penalty by Thetford
- Credit: PA
Climbing up to second place in the Eastern Counties One table is looking a real possibility for Thetford, after closing the gap to six points.
Two late penalties from Matthew Briggs secured a dramatic 28-26 home win against second-placed Ely.
The whole of Thetford rugby club bowed their heads for a minute’s silence for ex-player Carl Webster, who died aged 33 last week from a suspected heart attack.
Thetford scored early on through Rory Williams, who ran in to score the try and Briggs slotted the conversion. Thetford then conceded straight from the restart as Ely worked their way up the field and scored the try.
Thetford responded well though and turned defence into attack as they won a turnover. Finn quickly moved the ball to Stevens who ran half of the pitch to score a nice try on the right hand side.
It was Ely that scored next after they put more pressure on and Thetford battled hard but conceded the try.
Thetford restarted but Ely struck the first blow of the second half as they took the lead for the first time. However, Pizzey was on the mark to put Thetford back in charge although Ely scored again to make the score 22-26.
- 1 Trio jailed as travellers' site shooting described as 'like a movie scene'
- 2 Body found in woods near Mildenhall
- 3 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 4 Tribute to keen mountain biker who died on ride
- 5 Thetford-based haulier win national award following industry challenges
- 6 'Everyone is so excited': American sweet shop set to open in Thetford
- 7 Virus expert predicts Omicron will start 'outcompeting' Delta
- 8 Burglar jailed and labelled 'despicable' for betraying family who helped him
- 9 Parts of Norfolk could see 60mph winds as Storm Barra hits
- 10 Cannabis producer told he could face jail
Thetford were awarded two kickable penalties and there was one man they could turn to, Briggs. He slotted both meaning Thetford had won on such an emotional day for everyone who has ever wore red and white.