Edmundson wins Thetford Golf Club’s opening winter medal
- Credit: Getty Images
The first of the winter medals at Thetford on Sunday was won by Ian Edmundson on countback from Paul Waters.
Both are 10-handicappers and they both went round in 79 - but Ian had a back nine of 38 and Paul was one shot more.
Ian’s birdie four at the 13th proved to be crucial. There were 78 entrants.
Final scores: Division One - Ian Edmundson 79-10-69, Paul Waters 79-10-69, Iain Hamshaw 81-11-70, Stuart Honeybell 84-14-70, Peter Croker 80-9-71, Steve Burridge 84-12-72, Paul Hensby 88-15-73, Andrew Horsburgh 78-5-73, Daryl Breen 79-5-74, Paul Garnham 84-10-74, Mike Horley 80-6-74, Robert Setchell 79-4-75, David Fawcett 86-11-75, Iain Yule 74+1-75. Division Two - Daniel Franklin 86-16-70, Terry Harrison 95-22-73, Andy Vassallo 91-17-74, Jonathan Daly 96-20-76, Tom Price 95-16-79.
Thetford’s Oktoberfest Stableford was won by David Sutton with 40 points. The 13-handicapper finished one point ahead of six-handicap Andrew Horsburgh.
You may also want to watch:
Other scores: 37 Robert Taylor (6); 37 Daniel Franklin (17); 36 Dave Bennett (14), Matt Harben (6), Peter Croker (10), Mike Horley (6) and Mark Tudor (6); 35 Steve Duncan (13); 34 Graham Sloan (13), Craig Estlea (11), Brian How (10), Ray Hamilton (8) and Jonathan Franklin (26); 33 Daryl Breen (5), Jeremy Campbell (13), Ian Farnham (5), Andrew Bloom (11), Steve Steeds (18) and Chris Foulds (20); 32 Doug Stephen (10), Steve Campbell (13), Bryan Muggeridge (7), Roger Smith (9) and Ken Kirwan.
The senior section held their annual Texas Scramble and the winning team was Trevor Wignall, Paul Huggins, Jim Fleming and Roy Nicholls with 65-6.6-58.4. Runners-up were Gary Roberts, Tom Langlands, Steve McIlroy and Frank Knight with 70-7-63 with Tony Dinwiddy, Jim Sanford, Frank Dowling and Chris Foulds third with 70-6.6-63.4.
- 1 6 things to do as temperatures set to rise to 21C
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 3 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 4 Emotional great grandma meets nine-month-old twins for first time
- 5 Family to open cafe named for 'cheeky' twins who fought rare disease
- 6 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 7 'Vital' washing and cooking facilities to help homeless opens in town
- 8 Before the blaze: Elveden Forest Center Parcs in its early years
- 9 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 10 Norfolk and Suffolk election 2021: No change in Breckland
The seniors scored a fine win away to Gorleston in the second round of the Hodds Salver. Trevor Wignall and Phil Halford and Martin Eeles and Gary Woodhouse both won their matches by three holes while Bob Pearson and Nolan Guthrie won by one.
In the bottom match Derek Barton and Gary Goodchild had to give nine strokes and restricted their deficit to two holes so that Thetford won by seven overall. In the next round Thetford will entertain Royal Cromer.