Eager for points
IT was not a winning beginning to the year for Thetford and Swaffham football teams – but they are hoping to pocket some points this weekend.
In Bank Holiday Monday games Thetford, mid-table in Ridgeons Division One, lost at lowly Team Bury 3-1 while Swaffham bowed out of the First Division Cup to Gorleston 1-0.
Thetford host Fakenham on Saturday who are just one place below them in the table and had a morale-boosting win over third-placed Diss on Monday afternoon.
Swaffham have a bottom-of-the-table clash against basement side Cornard. The game should be exciting as both sides are struggling for points and are hungry for goals (kick-off 3pm).
The bitter weather put paid to Swaffham’s previous fixture at Fakenham.
You may also want to watch:
The club did manage to train at Lynnsport’s 3G artificial surface, during the festive period – a chance to work off the turkey and Christmas pudding.
The freeze and festive coughs and colds also restricting the planned maintenance jobs at the club, thankfully the thaw at the latter part of the week allowing some preparation of the pitch.
- 1 Thetford man charged with abduction of 17-year-old girl
- 2 Drivers delayed following accident in Brandon
- 3 'Ugly' Norfolk pub fight was sparked by act of revenge, court hears
- 4 Island park to be named in honour of town's Sikh links
- 5 Thetford man wanted in connection with assault
- 6 Sugar beet price shoots up - but not all Suffolk farmers are won over
- 7 Police appeal for dashcam footage after man died on A11
- 8 Neil, 85, touches hearts after taking part in memory walk for residents
- 9 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 10 Two 'cowardly bullies' sentenced for Christmas attack at Center Parcs
On Thursday evening Swaffham U18 entertain their Soham Town Rangers counterparts, looking to deny Soham the double (kick-off 7.45pm).
Swaffham Reserves do not have a fixture this Saturday while, the A team travel to Dereham Town A for their second round clash in the Sound & Vision Junior League Cup (kick-off 1.45pm).