Drivers gearing up for smashing time
Drivers from Thetford and Swaffham should feature at King's Lynn's Norfolk Arena on Saturday when the Big League Banger Racing returns.Starting at 6.
Drivers from Thetford and Swaffham should feature at King's Lynn's Norfolk Arena on Saturday when the Big League Banger Racing returns.
Starting at 6.30pm there will be action from both the Unlimited and 2L Banger classes - and both divisions of racing will be racing in memory of former banger ace Michael Bailey who was taken away from his friends and family at a far too young age.
This meeting normally attracts a large number of travelling names - and this year looks like being no exception with a number of Brighton Bears on the booking list - and with the local significance of the meeting, a large number of local stars are usually in action as well.
Around 100 bangers are expected to be in action over the two banger formulas.
This weekend is also the final world qualifier for the Unlimited and 2L Bangers with both formulas carrying points towards the prestigious grid.
Most local drivers are expected to be in action in the 2L Bangers with the Swaffham-based Garrod family of Terry, Ashley, Jack and Charlie all amongst those booked in to race.
- 1 Woman in 60s taken to hospital after being hit by car
- 2 Two people taken to hospital after van rolls over in Lynford crash
- 3 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
- 4 Tesco supermarket in Brandon reopens after cash machines ram raid
- 5 What the average UK house price can buy you in Norfolk's towns
- 6 Cash machines stolen in ram raid at Tesco in Brandon
- 7 Revealed: No one has paid £10,000 fines issued for breaking Covid rules
- 8 Ever fancied being a real life CSI? Now's your chance!
- 9 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 10 Noise warning issued due to increased flying over RAF Lakenheath
Ashley and Terry both currently occupy spots in the all-important 16 who automatically qualify for the race - and both will be looking to cement their automatic positions on the grid.
Ashley was a winner of a feature race at a world qualifier back in April and he currently sits in fourth place on the chart on 45 points with Terry one place behind on 39 points.
Whilst both drivers are not automatically assured of being on the grid it would be a major shock if either were not to qualify.
Also flying high in the top 16 is Terry Garrod (Thetford) who currently sits in a rather more precarious-looking sixteenth place and he will certainly be looking over his shoulder at the chasing pack!
Charlie and Jack will both need to post a good score and hope things go their way with other drivers failing to score above them to make the grid.
One driver you would expect to be right up there at the top would be veteran campaigner Davey Cox (Swaffham) who is currently sitting in third place in the national points.
However, Davey has endured nightmare sessions in the world qualifiers and will need to produce something near a maximum score to have any chance of being seeded directly onto the grid.
Also in action on Saturday are the 1300 Stock Cars.