Double joy for Pedlars
SWAFFHAM TOWN returned to action in impressive fashion on Saturday when they completed a League double over visitors Team Bury.
The Pedlars won 3-2, thanks to two goals from Joe Jackson and another from Jack Redhead.
Swaffham remain second from bottom in the Ridgeons League Division One table after their third league success of the season – but they are now now just a point behind Team Bury, and are within touching distance of the teams above them.
The Pedlars will be hoping to keep up the good work this Saturday but they face a tough test when they travel to fifth placed Ipswich Wanderers (3pm).
Early pressure from the off saw promising breaks come to nothing. Bury nearly spoilt the atmosphere in the 10th minute, but once again Dean ‘Rocky’ Mayes made an important stop.
You may also want to watch:
After 15 minutes Jackson broke through the Bury line, beating two and then shooting clinically across the keeper’s right hand side to score. He nearly made it two five minutes later, a free-kick going narrowly over the bar.
Further attempts, a shot by Nathan Cross and a header from Aaron Clifford, went close but failed to hit the target and, against the run of play, the visitors levelled with a header from a deflected free-kick.
- 1 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 2 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 3 'Slow down, save lives' - Police launch speed awareness campaign
- 4 Have your say over future of growing estate
- 5 Pony hire business to offer circus shows in your garden
- 6 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 7 Pings and exemptions: What are the rules around self-isolation?
- 8 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 9 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 10 Man, 38, in court after stab victim left with leg and stomach wounds
The second half saw early Swaffham efforts by O’Brien and David Spalding needing the attention of the Bury keeper.
The Pedlars’ second goal eventually came from a Jack Redhead free-kick from 25 yards out, his fifth for Town on his first start.
Jackson forced a good save by the Bury keeper in the 70th minute but he was further rewarded nine minutes later, Richard Cornwall supplying the through ball and Jackson rounding the keeper to slot home. Scott Voutt then went close, bringing the best out of the Bury keeper with a thunderbolt from his left foot. A lapse at the back allowed Bury a consolation second in the 89th minute, ensuring a thrilling close – but the Pedlars held firm.
The Reserves host Cromer Town Reserves at Shoemakers Lane on Saturday and the ‘A’ Team welcome Thetford Rovers Reserves (both 2pm). kick offs.
On Sunday the Veterans play Sprowston Wanderers at Shoemakers Lane in the last club fixture before Christmas.
n Watton were without a game on Saturday, with their scheduled Anglian Combination Division One fixture at Holt falling victim to a frozen pitch.
They remain 10th in the table, with 13 points from 12 games, and will be aiming to improve their position on Saturday, weather permitting, when they entertain Wymondham Town (2.30pm).