Double gold medal haul for Breckland martial arts ace
Local martial artist Kieran Steward achieved the ultimate victory by winning two gold medals in his first major junior championship. He has been training in the art of Ishin Ryu Ju-Jitsu at the Watton Junior School, Thetford dojo and Brandon dojo since the age of four.
Each year Ishin Ryu founded by Chief Instructor Kevin Pell, has championships in Norfolk and London. So students can use their skills they have learnt in the classes against students from other clubs within the UK.
He travelled down to Hertfordshire with his dad to enter into the takedown and grappling competitions, against local students from the Borehamwood dojo, Harrow Dojo and Bushey Dojos. He fought six students four times in each competition, and had to wait nervously until the end of the event to find out if he had won.
Kieran?s dad Trevor steward, National Coach for children?s Training and Development within the UK said, ?This is one of the happiest days of my life, to see my son achieve two gold medals in his first junior championship?.
Many parents who had never seen their child enter a competition or even seen them training were over whelmed by their confidence and ability to deal with their opponent during the contest and no matter how aggressive and hard their contest was everyone showed each other complete respect at the end of each contest with a bow and shake of hands. It was wonderful to hear and see parents cheering their sons and daughters on throughout the competition, and the applause that followed each round just added to the tremendous atmosphere.
It was then time to find out who had won bronze, silver or gold position. Many of them had not only won a medal in the takedown but also in the grappling competition. Some were really surprised when their names were announced. The Honoured guest the Deputy Mayor Pat Strack was invited to present the winners with their medals. The day finished with an official photograph following the official ceremonial close.
If you would like to find out more about our clubs in Norfolk and throughout the UK you can contact the National Registrar Teresa Paginton on 01953 483795 or visit our website.www.ishinryu.com
- 1 Train delays as lorry hits railway bridge
- 2 Police search for owner of puppy lost near Mildenhall
- 3 Crowdfunder for terminally ill mum to fulfil dream of marrying partner
- 4 Concerns raised over plans for holiday cabins at equestrian centre
- 5 Final consultation to be undertaken on future of Thetford Market Place
- 6 'She was the glue' - Family's loving tribute to devoted mum Netty
- 7 Rare chance to rent a 16th century farmhouse overlooking a Norfolk estate
- 8 Five-year-old child struck by car in Brandon discharged from hospital
- 9 Motorbike and car crash on A134 near Norfolk village
- 10 Catalytic converters stolen from three cars in Mildenhall in one night