Cup win gives Thetford Town something to smile about at last


- Credit: Archant

Thetford Town got back to winning ways at the weekend when they avoided a potential upset in the second round of the Norfolk Senior Cup.

Town went into Saturday’s home match against Anglian Combination Premier Division leaders Harleston Town with six successive defeats behind them - but turned in an impressive performance against in-form opposition to record an emphatic 4-1 win.

Town were 2-0 up at the break and scored two more in the second half after Harleston had got it back to 2-1 five minutes in.

Max Melanson, Sam Bond, Ross Bailey and Robbie Priddle got the goals for Thetford, who will now be listening out for Friday evening’s third round draw with interest.

Town are in knock-out action again on Saturday, with another home match coming up against Debenham LC, from Division One of the Thurlow Nunn League, in the first round of the FA Vase.

After two weekends without at game Watton United return to action in Division One of the Anglian Combination next Tuesday evening (7.30pm) with a home derby against Mundford.

Mundford, currently fourth in the table after taking 15 points from their opening seven fixtures, recorded an excellent win in the Senior Cup on Saturday.

Most Read

Playing Premier Division St Andrews at Thorpe Rec Mundford won 2-1 after extra-time with Ian Fancett and Josh Walker putting the away side in the hat for round three.

Bridgham United were beaten 4-2 at Tacolneston Reserves in Primary League Cup Group A after a below-par display.

After going behind to a fine early free-kick Bridgham replied two minutes later when Connor McCartney finished a good passing move with a fine finish.

Bridgham made it 2-1 when Michael Watts scored with superb free-kick but the second half turned into a poor 45 minutes as the visitors conceded in the 53rd and 70th minutes to make it 3-2 to Tacolneston after some poor defending which was not helped by the loss through injury of two defenders and a keeper who was struggling on after suffering a rib injury.

Bridgham did try and hit back with Dan Cusack, Connor McCartney and Lewis Willson all going close but it was the home side who scored again with four minutes to go.

MoM: Connor McCartney.