Cup win for Thetford
Thetford visited Fakenham to play in a local derby in fantastic weather - and they ended up lifting the magnificent Hogston Cup.Fakenham again fielded a young first team, led by the newly-appointed captain Robert (Bob) Sayer, with veteran Peter Colley starting at prop.
Thetford visited Fakenham to play in a local derby in fantastic weather - and they ended up lifting the magnificent Hogston Cup.
Fakenham again fielded a young first team, led by the newly-appointed captain Robert (Bob) Sayer, with veteran Peter Colley starting at prop.
Peter introduced Robert to Fakenham RUFC back in 1993 and it was a fitting match for Peter to hang up his boots at the end, having always been a great encouraging voice to the 'youngsters' over his career.
The match provided end-to-end action from start to finish with a try firstly coming from Thetford, followed by a great build-up of pressure from Fakenham resulting in Sayer scoring near the corner.
Thetford came back strongly with the home side making a few small mistakes which allowed Thetford to work their way up the park and score under the posts and converted for the extra points.
The second half was very evenly matched but still end to end with great attack and defence from both sides.
- 1 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 2 Weather warning extended as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 3 Elizabethan manor house with 20 acres and a pool on sale for £2.75m
- 4 Firefighters remain on scene of huge forest fire near country park
- 5 Shed left destroyed after garden fire in west Suffolk
- 6 Anger as 'rollercoaster' appears at bottom of woman's garden
- 7 20 fire engines and 90 firefighters contain large forest blaze
- 8 'Delightful' pug and 'loveable' rottweiler among dogs looking for new homes
- 9 'Could have caused explosion': Eco-warrior stops Thetford fire spreading
- 10 Town to host free outdoor screening of Encanto with street food stalls
Allen was controversially disallowed from scoring in the corner for the home side.
Pressure from Fakenham was eventually rewarded with a penalty conversion from Bane-Young and Allen dancing his way through midfield to score under the posts, followed by the conversion.
With the clock rapidly ticking down, the visitors made the most of every Fakenham error and were rewarded with a penalty seconds before the final whistle.
Thetford slotted it home to leave the scores tied. The match went to sudden death, with Fakenham opting to receive the re-start.
Conceding an unfortunate penalty near the wing outside their 22, the home side watched as the conversion just crept over the bar to see Thetford clinch the match.
Congratulations must be provided to all those who took part on and off the pitch, young and old, for providing such a great atmosphere for all at the club.
A huge 'thank you' to all the club members, players, captains, helpers, sponsors and supporters who have been part of the club this season and allowed Thetford to encourage a growing, enthusiastic, and very talented youth, ladies' and men's line-up as part of our club.
A final reminder for all those attending the May Ball on May 23 that payment would be appreciated as soon as possible.