Cullington Cup final agony for Thetford Golf Club team
- Credit: Submitted
Thetford Golf Club’s Cullington Cup team lost in the final of the Norfolk inter-club event, beaten by seven holes by Dunston Hall at Bawburgh.
Thetford could never quite recover from a disappointing morning when they fell 11 holes behind in the 36-hole event. Dean Scott and John Ward had kept the team in it with another terrific performance to win their first round by eight holes.
Unfortunately, the other three pairings all lost heavily. There was brief hope in the afternoon when three of the pairings gained an advantage, but at the end only Scott and Ward, with another four-hole win, and Bob Fletcher and Mark Davis, who also won by four, managed to win their rounds.
Thetford can only congratulate Dunston Hall on an impressively consistent display in the final and look to go one better in next year’s competition.
The RAFA Trophy ended in a four-way tie at the top with 37 points, and the winner on countback was eight-handicapper Mark Tudor. Josh Chamberlain (3), Glen Beardsall (21) and Gerald Davey (15) were the unlucky trio to take the next three places with the same total.
You may also want to watch:
The Thetford team who had worked so hard to earn their place in the semi-finals of the Norfolk Handicap League bowed out after losing to a strong Royal Norwich team.
Playing at Weston Park only Robbie O’Brien and Matt Harben managed to avoid defeat - they halved. The other three pairs were Phil Beer and Nolan Guthrie, Mike Horley and Martin Brockett and Ryan Woods and Terry Stephenson.
- 1 Tributes flood in for Dad's Army superfan and family man Neville
- 2 Build of new school building could see more places for SEND children
- 3 Drug-driver's pickup cannoned off-duty detective's car into oncoming traffic
- 4 UEA expert in infectious diseases expects delay to 'Freedom Day'
- 5 Drunk inmate threatened to stab prison officer
- 6 Road reopens after crash between car and lorry
- 7 New date for trial of five accused of Thetford murder
- 8 New transporter bike for wheelchair users launched at Thetford Forest
- 9 Man, 18, arrested in connection with serious sexual assault
- 10 ‘I don’t trust this area’: Local people react after sex assault on teenager
Paul Waters and Matt Richardson will represent the club in next year’s Daily Mail Foursomes after they won the qualifying competition. They returned 85-14-71 to beat last year’s captain, Brian Chadwick, and his partner Graham Pitcher by two strokes. Third place went to Mick Maskell and Dave Hudson followed by John Barton and David Sutton on 75.
• See this week’s Thetford & Brandon Times for full results.