Colchester Gladiators 0 Bury Saints 40 – Winning start to season continues for Saints
- Credit: William G Watson
The Bury Saints extended their undefeated start to the BAFA National League SFC1 season to five matches after thrashing Colchester Gladiators 40-0 on a sun-drenched day in Essex.
The Saints offence scored on their first drive which was capped off with quarterback Fred Boyle’s touchdown pass to wide receiver Evin Reese. For the rest of the first quarter and halfway into the 2nd that was all that the high powered Saints offence could muster. The Point after TD was missed and the Gladiators defence used a great scheme and pressure to stop the Saints when needed and forced punts for the next four drives.
Midway through the second quarter however the offence upped the tempo and finally broke through for the second TD of the first half when RB Cory Jenkins, back after missing two games with an injury, took a hand-off and scampered 26 yards to score. The two-point conversion was good by Boyle passing to WR Joe Hill.
The second half was where the Saints who travelled with nearly 50 players started to wear down the Gladiators who had less than 30 suited. They scored TDs on their next four possessions with Boyle throwing one to WR Axl Rodwell, fresh back from University, as well as a TD pass to WR Will Awadjie.
RB’s Chris May and Derek White both also chipped in with TDs on the ground. Kicker Pauly Bowers added two PATs to complete the scoring.
The real story of the day however, was the utter domination of the Saints “Wolfpack” defence that wreaked havoc all afternoon on the Colchester Offense. They caused multiple turnovers, sacks, tackles for losses and after the dust settled the defence had surrendered a grand total of six yards on offence by the Colchester side.
Defensive standouts were LB Trent Myers with seven tackles, LB Zach Hill with five tackles, DE Steve Wood with a sack and four tackles, DE Ramsey Orr with a sack and four tackles and Rob Patterson with two tackles and an Interception.
- 1 Woman in 60s taken to hospital after being hit by car
- 2 Two people taken to hospital after van rolls over in Lynford crash
- 3 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
- 4 Tesco supermarket in Brandon reopens after cash machines ram raid
- 5 What the average UK house price can buy you in Norfolk's towns
- 6 Revealed: No one has paid £10,000 fines issued for breaking Covid rules
- 7 Cash machines stolen in ram raid at Tesco in Brandon
- 8 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 9 Ever fancied being a real life CSI? Now's your chance!
- 10 Noise warning issued due to increased flying over RAF Lakenheath
Saints travel to Southampton to face Solent Thrashers (2-2) on Sunday, before returning home the following weekend to host Kent Exiles at Thetford Rugby Club.