Clark earns right to represent Thetford in Lombard Trophy
- Credit: Archant
There was a blanket finish to the Lombard PGA Trophy qualifier at Thetford Golf Club, with John Clark edging ahead at the line to win with 83-13-70.
He ended up one stroke clear of Robert Bentley (16 handicap), Ian Edmundson (11), Nick Murgolo (8), Mark Tudor (7) and Pat Gould (17), who all came in with nett 71s.
Clark will now partner teaching professional Stuart Smith in the regional final which will be held at Thetford on Thursday, June 29.
Other scores: Iain Yule 72-0-72, John Summers 91-19-72, James Camilleri 82-10-72, Peter Martin 86-14-72, Tim McAlinden 85-12-73, Peter Allott 78-5-73, Mike Horley 80-6-74, Gary Scott 83-9-74, Phil Beer 82-8-74, Brian How 83-9-74, David Goddard 89-15-74, Andrew Savins 93-19-74, Mark Lingard 86-11-75, John Baldwin 88-13-75, John Stapleton 76-1-75, Steve Campbell 88-13-75, Andy Dunn 89-14-75, Matt Wabe 82-6-76, Kevin Cooke 85-9-76.
Thetford’s run in the Cullington Cup ended in the wind at Hunstanton. Dean Scott and Dave Bennett got the team off to a great start, winning their morning foursomes by nine holes for an overall lead of four holes. But as wind increased in the afternoon the host players coped better with the difficult conditions and overturned their deficit to win overall by nine holes.
You may also want to watch:
Thetford’s seniors also lost in the first round of the Barnard Trophy after a play-off at home to King’s Lynn. Graham Pitcher and Barry Brackenborough and Steve Campbell and Roger Smith won the first two matches but a heavy loss in the third game left Thetford four down. Final pair Brian Chadwick and Phil Beer were three up — and Phil holed a long putt on the 18th green to square the score. Sadly Phil’s effort on the 19th green just stayed out — and King’s Lynn went through with a par.
The senior ladies had better fortune in the Diamond Knock-out with a win over The Links, West Runton, in round two. Wendy Puttock and Jan Bone and Liz Wigg and Margaret Hayward both won their matches for an overall win by five holes.
- 1 Two men arrested on suspicion of money laundering in Thetford
- 2 Retired firefighter looks back at four-day Thetford factory blaze 30 years on
- 3 Four-car crash leaves pregnant woman in hospital
- 4 Cat left 'terrified' after being dumped next to road by driver
- 5 Gym becomes community hub with café and barber shop
- 6 The story of Mildenhall's workhouses uncovered after 100 years
- 7 21-year-old airlifted to hospital after car crashes into trees
- 8 Pretty town centre terrace is for sale by auction - and it needs doing up!
- 9 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 10 New community hub for Thetford after girl's terrifying attack
Thetford hosted a leg of the Norfolk CGU Order of Merit and Brad Smith, who works in the club’s pro shop, won the scratch prize with a 73. He beat clubmate Iain Yule, who plays off scratch, on countback.
Margo Horsburgh and Shelly Pleasance won the Ladies’ Coronation Foursomes with 34 points.