Clark earns right to represent Thetford in Lombard Trophy
- Credit: Archant
There was a blanket finish to the Lombard PGA Trophy qualifier at Thetford Golf Club, with John Clark edging ahead at the line to win with 83-13-70.
He ended up one stroke clear of Robert Bentley (16 handicap), Ian Edmundson (11), Nick Murgolo (8), Mark Tudor (7) and Pat Gould (17), who all came in with nett 71s.
Clark will now partner teaching professional Stuart Smith in the regional final which will be held at Thetford on Thursday, June 29.
Other scores: Iain Yule 72-0-72, John Summers 91-19-72, James Camilleri 82-10-72, Peter Martin 86-14-72, Tim McAlinden 85-12-73, Peter Allott 78-5-73, Mike Horley 80-6-74, Gary Scott 83-9-74, Phil Beer 82-8-74, Brian How 83-9-74, David Goddard 89-15-74, Andrew Savins 93-19-74, Mark Lingard 86-11-75, John Baldwin 88-13-75, John Stapleton 76-1-75, Steve Campbell 88-13-75, Andy Dunn 89-14-75, Matt Wabe 82-6-76, Kevin Cooke 85-9-76.
Thetford’s run in the Cullington Cup ended in the wind at Hunstanton. Dean Scott and Dave Bennett got the team off to a great start, winning their morning foursomes by nine holes for an overall lead of four holes. But as wind increased in the afternoon the host players coped better with the difficult conditions and overturned their deficit to win overall by nine holes.
You may also want to watch:
Thetford’s seniors also lost in the first round of the Barnard Trophy after a play-off at home to King’s Lynn. Graham Pitcher and Barry Brackenborough and Steve Campbell and Roger Smith won the first two matches but a heavy loss in the third game left Thetford four down. Final pair Brian Chadwick and Phil Beer were three up — and Phil holed a long putt on the 18th green to square the score. Sadly Phil’s effort on the 19th green just stayed out — and King’s Lynn went through with a par.
The senior ladies had better fortune in the Diamond Knock-out with a win over The Links, West Runton, in round two. Wendy Puttock and Jan Bone and Liz Wigg and Margaret Hayward both won their matches for an overall win by five holes.
- 1 'It's killing me': Abuse victim moved into flat with asbestos and mould
- 2 Poultry company owner says food industry is at 'crisis point'
- 3 Where you are most likely to get your bike stolen in Norfolk
- 4 Police chief warns of 'inevitable' rise in certain crimes after pandemic
- 5 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 6 RAF base warns of increased Apache helicopter flying activity
- 7 Car crashes into central reservation on A11
- 8 Thunderstorms and heavy rain warning for Norfolk
- 9 Abusive man grabbed wife by throat and banged her head on floor
- 10 Record numbers in Norfolk ‘pinged’ to isolate by NHS Covid app
Thetford hosted a leg of the Norfolk CGU Order of Merit and Brad Smith, who works in the club’s pro shop, won the scratch prize with a 73. He beat clubmate Iain Yule, who plays off scratch, on countback.
Margo Horsburgh and Shelly Pleasance won the Ladies’ Coronation Foursomes with 34 points.