Champion feeling for middle-distance ace
SEVERAL junior members from Thetford Athletic Club competed in the Norfolk County Championships, held at King’s Lynn on Sunday,.
It was windy and cold but there were some good results, and personal bests. Joe Kirton came first in 800m for U20 men and was presented with a shield and medal to mark becoming county champion. Joe Smythe, in the U11 boys’ section, came third in 600m and 80m to gain two medals.
U11 boys: Adam Moore 600m 7th 2:18.3min (pb), 80m 2nd in heat 6th in final 14.1sec, long jump 13th 2.32m pb. Tom Mead 600m 8th 2:18.7, vortex throw 5th 25.30m pb. Joe Smythe 600m 3rd 2:09.0 pb, 80m 3rd in heat and final 13.2, long jump 6th 3.08m (pb).
U11 girls: Emma Hassey 80m 8th 15.1, long jump 9th 2.46m (pb). Sophie Burrows 80m 4th 14.4 (pb), long jump 6th 2.90m (pb).
You may also want to watch:
U13 boys: Joseph Nicholson 200m 4th 35.4 (pb), 100m 6th 17.0, long jump 9th 3.24m.
U15 girls: Bethan Hassey long jump 7th 3.56m (pb). Grace Humby 800m 6th 2:44.1. U17 men: Andrew Johnson 3000m 5th 10:53.4. U20 men: Joe Kirton 800m 1st 2:16.4.
- 1 Thetford man charged with abduction of 17-year-old girl
- 2 Drivers delayed following accident in Brandon
- 3 Island park to be named in honour of town's Sikh links
- 4 'Ugly' Norfolk pub fight was sparked by act of revenge, court hears
- 5 Farm's 'Goats at Home' service booms after lockdown
- 6 Thetford man wanted in connection with assault
- 7 Police appeal for dashcam footage after man died on A11
- 8 Thetford Forest invites runners to enjoy fresh air and scenery
- 9 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 10 Two 'cowardly bullies' sentenced for Christmas attack at Center Parcs
Competing at the Suffolk County Championships were three more Thetford AC members who also had some very good results:
U20 women: Georgina Howe hammer 1st 44.59m, discus 2nd 33.49m.
U17 men: Oliver Thompson hammer 1st 41.30m pb, discus 2nd 30.11m.
U15 boys: Daniel Howe hammer 2nd 36.25m, discus 4th 25.57m.