Captain leads by example as Thetford secure narrow win
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Ryan Conroy led by example as Thetford recorded a nailbiting one wicket win at Bradfield in their latest Norfolk Alliance Division One fixture.
Town’s skipper made an unbeaten 84 as the visitors edged past their target in the 46th over to keep hopes of a top half finish very much alive.
After being asked to bat first Bradfield were all out for 166 in the 43rd over, with Zane Kennedy and Alex Robinson both making 44.
Liam Conroy and Craig Baluch were the pick of the bowlers, taking 3-20 and 3-21 respectively.
It soon became clear that it was a competitive score, with wickets falling at regular intervals when Thetford’s chase got under way.
You may also want to watch:
Fortunately for the visitors Conroy was in top form and he eventually saw his side home, with No 11 Jamie Baulch (7 not out) playing an important role at the death.
The other main contributor for Thetford was extras, with Bradfield giving away no fewer than 48 of them, 39 nine of which were for wides.
- 1 Two men arrested on suspicion of money laundering in Thetford
- 2 Retired firefighter looks back at four-day Thetford factory blaze 30 years on
- 3 Four-car crash leaves pregnant woman in hospital
- 4 Cat left 'terrified' after being dumped next to road by driver
- 5 Gym becomes community hub with café and barber shop
- 6 21-year-old airlifted to hospital after car crashes into trees
- 7 The story of Mildenhall's workhouses uncovered after 100 years
- 8 Pretty town centre terrace is for sale by auction - and it needs doing up!
- 9 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 10 New community hub for Thetford after girl's terrifying attack
Kennedy (3-19) and Cameron Down (2-27) both turned in impressive 10 over stints for the home side.
Swaffham were beaten by promotion chasing Hethersett and Tas Valley in Division Two.
They were skittled out for just 117, with opener Jasper Payne contributing 33, before Valley got home by four wickets with nearly 10 overs in hand.
Maurice Dye shone with the ball for Swaffham, taking 3-23.
An exciting three-way battle for the two promotion spots continued as top two Topcroft and Beccles also won.
Beccles romped to victory at Brooke A after dismissing their hosts for just 91 while Topcroft remain two points above them after seeing off Downham A by four wickets.
Thetford A had a convincing win against Diss A in Division Six on Saturday.
They won the toss and elected to bowl first and restricted Diss to 160-9.
Stand-out performances came from Nathan Coleman (9-2-17-2) and 14-year-old debutant Tom Simpson (6-0-19-2). Gavin Siriwardena and David Phelps also picked up two wickets each.
Thetford made light work of their target, getting the total in 34 overs with the loss of just one wicket.
Next up is a trip to Topcroft A on Saturday.