Capital effort by Thomas
Thomas Francis, from Bridgham, ran in the Adidas London Mini Marathon on Sunday.On a gloriously sunny day the 16-year-old travelled to London, having been selected to represent Norfolk as part of the England East Region team.
Thomas Francis, from Bridgham, ran in the Adidas London Mini Marathon on Sunday.
On a gloriously sunny day the 16-year-old travelled to London, having been selected to represent Norfolk as part of the England East Region team.
Thomas, who runs for City of Norwich AC, was competing in the 15-17 race over a 6k course which started at Old Billingsgate in the City of London, made its way along the Embankment and across Parliament Square, past Buckingham Palace to finish on The Mall.
In a race with 400-plus runners from UK regional teams and all 33 London boroughs, Thomas finished in a creditable 62nd place in a time of 16:50, with the East team taking third place in the regional competition.
You may also want to watch:
Thomas said: “I was a little disappointed with my time because I know I can run faster than that, but I was doing my warm-up and ended up getting stuck at the back at the start.
“But the occasion and the atmosphere made up for everything. It was fantastic, the crowds of spectators were brilliant - and there's always next year.
- 1 Parent fined after teens dumped waste at town estate
- 2 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 3 Heat map images reveal Norfolk's most popular running routes
- 4 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 5 Plans submitted for Center Parcs-inspired retirement village
- 6 Norfolk to get rapid Covid test sites - to find people without symptoms
- 7 Storm Christoph flood fears bring spike in sandbag sales
- 8 Drug-dealers caught in undercover police sting
- 9 Calls for new hardship fund amid Covid impact and tax rise
- 10 'Stay indoors' warning amid flooding fears for Norfolk roads
“I'm just going to concentrate on my track season now and hopefully get a qualifying time for English Schools in 800m and 1500m,” he added.