Buoyant Thetford up for cup
Thetford Town, who got a welcome league win at the weekend, visit Sheringham in the Norfolk Senior Cup on Saturday.It's a 1.45pm kick-off and Town are running a coach for players and supporters, leaving the ground at 11.
Thetford Town, who got a welcome league win at the weekend, visit Sheringham in the Norfolk Senior Cup on Saturday.
It's a 1.45pm kick-off and Town are running a coach for players and supporters, leaving the ground at 11.30am, cost £5.
Please contact Bob on 01842 764282 if you would like to book a seat.
The first team are then at home to Stowmarket Town on Tuesday in the second round of the League Cup (7.45pm).
You may also want to watch:
Thetford Town's losing streak came to an end on Saturday with a 2-1 victory over Saffron Walden.
Town started well and were soon on top, and should have taken the lead on 12 minutes, but somehow the Walden defence cleared their lines and then on 16 minutes Senior had a good chance saved.
- 1 Family's desperate plea to help find missing wartime medals
- 2 24,000 fish released into four East Anglian rivers to replenish stocks
- 3 Ofsted praise for ‘inadequate’ Norfolk special school
- 4 Housing association promises action after indecent exposure incidents
- 5 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
- 6 Norfolk patients’ group welcomes choice of face-to-face GP consultations
- 7 Town's virtual business awards to give boost to owners
- 8 Norfolk lorry drivers clocked for nearly 200 traffic offences in three days
- 9 Police hunt for wanted men after west Suffolk shooting
- 10 New fantasy film was shot in Norfolk and Suffolk during pandemic
Town took the lead on 20 minutes when a 50-yard free-kick from Greg Devlin deceived the keeper to give Town a deserved goal.
Saffron Walden's best chance came on 37 minutes, but was well dealt with by the Town defence.
On the stroke of half-time, Town increased their lead when Senior was brought down in the area and Lee Brewer stepped up to convert the penalty.
Bryant had one good chance to finish off a good half for Town, but it was well saved.
Saffron Walden came at Town in the second half and put the defence under some pressure.
On 50 minutes, they were awarded a penalty which only the referee saw.
This was converted to give them some hope, but Town took control and a good run from Mann saw his effort go only inches over the bar.
Town almost gave Walden a lifeline when a mis-timed back pass was seized on, but the shot went agonisingly wide.
Town should have finished the game off on 85 minutes when a Mann effort was saved by the keeper.
This gave Walden some hope but Town stood firm to record a deserved 2-1 victory.
Thetford Reserves lost 1-0 at Whitton United.
This Saturday they entertain Gorleston, 3pm.
Thetford U18 are at home to Downham Town on Monday, 7.45pm.