Buoyant Thetford up for cup
Thetford Town, who got a welcome league win at the weekend, visit Sheringham in the Norfolk Senior Cup on Saturday.It's a 1.45pm kick-off and Town are running a coach for players and supporters, leaving the ground at 11.
Thetford Town, who got a welcome league win at the weekend, visit Sheringham in the Norfolk Senior Cup on Saturday.
It's a 1.45pm kick-off and Town are running a coach for players and supporters, leaving the ground at 11.30am, cost £5.
Please contact Bob on 01842 764282 if you would like to book a seat.
The first team are then at home to Stowmarket Town on Tuesday in the second round of the League Cup (7.45pm).
You may also want to watch:
Thetford Town's losing streak came to an end on Saturday with a 2-1 victory over Saffron Walden.
Town started well and were soon on top, and should have taken the lead on 12 minutes, but somehow the Walden defence cleared their lines and then on 16 minutes Senior had a good chance saved.
- 1 Thetford man charged with abduction of 17-year-old girl
- 2 'Ugly' Norfolk pub fight was sparked by act of revenge, court hears
- 3 Drivers delayed following accident in Brandon
- 4 Thetford man wanted in connection with assault
- 5 Island park to be named in honour of town's Sikh links
- 6 Sugar beet price shoots up - but not all Suffolk farmers are won over
- 7 Neil, 85, touches hearts after taking part in memory walk for residents
- 8 Police appeal for dashcam footage after man died on A11
- 9 Two 'cowardly bullies' sentenced for Christmas attack at Center Parcs
- 10 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
Town took the lead on 20 minutes when a 50-yard free-kick from Greg Devlin deceived the keeper to give Town a deserved goal.
Saffron Walden's best chance came on 37 minutes, but was well dealt with by the Town defence.
On the stroke of half-time, Town increased their lead when Senior was brought down in the area and Lee Brewer stepped up to convert the penalty.
Bryant had one good chance to finish off a good half for Town, but it was well saved.
Saffron Walden came at Town in the second half and put the defence under some pressure.
On 50 minutes, they were awarded a penalty which only the referee saw.
This was converted to give them some hope, but Town took control and a good run from Mann saw his effort go only inches over the bar.
Town almost gave Walden a lifeline when a mis-timed back pass was seized on, but the shot went agonisingly wide.
Town should have finished the game off on 85 minutes when a Mann effort was saved by the keeper.
This gave Walden some hope but Town stood firm to record a deserved 2-1 victory.
Thetford Reserves lost 1-0 at Whitton United.
This Saturday they entertain Gorleston, 3pm.
Thetford U18 are at home to Downham Town on Monday, 7.45pm.