Brandon’s run is halted by Saints
St Andrews 3, Brandon Town 0
Brandon were looking to extend their away winning sequence to three but unfortunately began 2011 with a disappointing defeat.
Again Town had to shuffle the pack with players unavailable. Club captain Mark Winstone returned at the back and full debuts were given to new signing Craig Greenhill and teenager Josh Green.
Brandon started very slowly, kicking against a strong wind. St Andrews were playing some excellent football in the poor conditions and took the lead when the defence were caught square and the forward poked home from close range. Minutes later it was 2-0 when some slack marking allowed the forward time to smash home and give Clements no chance in the visitors’ goal.
Brandon only had themselves to blame for the third goal as well.
You may also want to watch:
Too many touches allowed Ruiz to be robbed of the ball which broke and fell kindly to St Andrews, allowing the forward to slide in.
In the second half, with the wind at their backs, Town started strongly. Butcher’s fine cross was headed over by Sobiechowski.
- 1 Wanted man identified after Thetford shop burglary
- 2 Father and son admit handling stolen power tools
- 3 Bryan Cranston to Meghan Markle - how USO show brings stars to our region
- 4 Night out safety advice issued after drink-spiking reports in Norfolk
- 5 Man due in court in connection with Norfolk stab attack
- 6 Work starts on new £4.2m housing project in Norfolk village
- 7 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 8 Four-car crash leaves pregnant woman in hospital
- 9 21-year-old airlifted to hospital after car crashes into trees
- 10 Retired firefighter looks back at four-day Thetford factory blaze 30 years on
Moments later Green pulled the ball across the goal to Bland but the keeper pulled off a fine save.
The home keeper thwarted Green on two more occasions to deny the youngster a debut goal.
With Brandon throwing caution to the wind at one end Clements made several good stops to deny the counter attacks of the hosts at the other.
This weekend Brandon travel to Loddon in a crucial relegation fixture.
Brandon Reserves lost 6-1 at home to Attleborough. Will Harwood was the Brandon goalscorer.
This weekend the reserves are at home to Mulbarton.