Brandon late show seals welcome victory
Sheringham 2, Brandon Town 3
AFTER the previous week’s shocking Halloween performance Brandon turned in a real fireworks display this Saturday by battling back with two late goals to grab three welcome points.
Town travelled to the coast without the services of Malster and Jolly through injury and Kent and Paskausas through work commitments.
This gave opportunities to debutants Ruiz and Jarrett and a return to the starting 11 for Sheppard and Field.
Brandon set up their team to try to soak up the Sheringham pressure and hit them on the counter attack and it paid dividends in the end.
The game started the way that was predicted with Sheringham having plenty of possession but could find no way past a resilient back line of Butcher, Tuffs, Winstone and Field.
Anything that did get through was dealt with well by young Barlow in goal.
- 1 Two people taken to hospital after van rolls over in Lynford crash
- 2 Cash machines stolen in ram raid at Tesco in Brandon
- 3 Ever fancied being a real life CSI? Now's your chance!
- 4 Tesco supermarket in Brandon reopens after cash machines ram raid
- 5 Revealed: No one has paid £10,000 fines issued for breaking Covid rules
- 6 Noise warning issued due to increased flying over RAF Lakenheath
- 7 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 8 Council buys disused building to regenerate town's riverfront
- 9 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 10 Eight dogs up for adoption at a Norfolk rehoming centre
At the other end Town were looking dangerous with Bland holding up play superbly and the electric Ian Bethell was a constant threat to the hosts. It was that man Bethell who opened the scoring after running from the halfway line all the way through the defence and coolly rounding the keeper to slot in.
The hosts had nowhere to go and became frustrated with passes going astray Brandon began to get on top.
It could have been 2-0 several times with Bethell having a shot cleared off the line and Bland hitting the keeper from point-blank range.
However nothing is easy in this league and Brandon hit the self destruct button with 10 minutes to go. They conceded two goals in three minutes and the points seemed to be lost.
Team spirit is one thing this current side is not lacking and they showed that by turning the game back in their favour in the last five minutes. Sobiechowski was brought down in the box for a penalty which Bland, under immense pressure, coolly slotted home for 2-2.
With seconds remaining Bethell waltzed around the Sheringham back line and fired an unstoppable shot into the roof of the net for a dramatic winner.
This week Town travel to Spixworth.
Chris Page’s Brandon Reserve side also had a brilliant 3-0 win at home to Wells. Norohna, Kukirus and Airidas with the goals.
Next week, the reserves are home to Buxton.