Brandon Lasses U16s make club history with win
- Credit: Submitted
Brandon Lasses Under-16s have made history by becoming the first team in Brandon Town Youth Football Club’s history to win a Suffolk County Cup.
The final, played at Cedar Park in Stowmarket, was against old rivals AFC Kesgrave to whom they had lost the League Cup final three weeks earlier.
A tough first half saw Kesgrave put Brandon under pressure forcing Billie Nolan, the Brandon keeper, into several decent saves and keeping the score to 0-0 at half-time.
The second half was very different as Brandon took control and should have taken the lead on several occasions. With the score still 0-0 at full-time, extra-time beckoned. As in the second half Brandon were the stronger side looking the more likely to score, even thumping the post from one strike.
With the final whistle being blown and the score still at 0-0 the dreaded penalties loomed. Brandon held their nerve and with Kesgrave striking two penalties over the crossbar and Brandon keeper Nolan saving another it was all down to Georgia Reardon, who calmly took her penalty, shooting to the keeper’s left giving her no chance ensuring the cup came to Brandon. Then the celebration started!
You may also want to watch:
Congratulations to all of the girls along with manager Gary and coach Mick and a big thank you to all the parents and supporters.
- 1 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 2 Emotional great grandma meets nine-month-old twins for first time
- 3 Family to open cafe named for 'cheeky' twins who fought rare disease
- 4 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 5 'Vital' washing and cooking facilities to help homeless opens in town
- 6 Before the blaze: Elveden Forest Center Parcs in its early years
- 7 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 8 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 9 6 things to do as temperatures set to rise to 21C
- 10 Town planning for future of theatre and swimming pool at historic convent