Brandon battle well but lose out
Spixworth 5, Brandon Town 2
BRANDON Town travelled to Spixworth looking for some much-needed points but despite putting up a battling display they came away empty-handed.
It was a much-changed side that took to the field with several key players unavailable. Leech and Dempsey were brought in to bolster the squad. Brandon started brightly and, for the first time in 2011, took the lead in a game. Sobiechowski’s deep free-kick evaded everybody and bounced nicely into the net.
Town were playing some neat stuff and had several chances to double their lead, Edwards headed wide when well placed and Sobiechowski fired wide after a fine build-up. But then, as has been the theme for the season, Brandon hit the self- destruct button and conceded three goals in quick succession.
Loose marking, not tracking runners and some fine finishing didn’t give Barlow in goal much hope of keeping the hosts out.
However, Brandon kept creating chances and young Adam Jolly scored his first goal for the club. Leech played a fine pass through and Jolly held off his marker before coolly slotting home. It should have been 3-3 but Bland failed to round the keeper after being excellently put through by Leech.
The second half started with Town well on top but their inability to make their chances count cost them dearly and Spixworth scored twice to make it 5-2.
- 1 Bank with only 15 in-branch customers to shut down
- 2 Council’s wildlife camera stolen from conservation area
- 3 Thetford pupil Oxford-bound after hat-trick of A* grades
- 4 Where you will be able to see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 5 'Do not eat' - Lidl recalls product over bacteria fears
- 6 Parish council weighs in on row over 'rollercoaster' racking
- 7 A-levels 2022: All the results from Norfolk and Waveney
- 8 West Norfolk village pub to reopen as bed and breakfast after sale
- 9 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 10 Truss claims UK workers need 'more graft' in leaked statement
Tonight, Brandon play Thetford Rovers at Thetford Town’s ground in the Snailwell Cup (ko 7.45pm), before hosting Beccles on Saturday at the Recreation (kick-off 2.30pm).
Brandon Reserves had an excellent 7-1 win over Hindringham – scorers Jarret (3), G Winstone, C Winstone, own goal and Molyneux.