Blake treble for Thetford Town sinks hosts

Matt Blake bagged a hat-trick as Town continued their fine run of form with 5-2 victory at Ipswich Wanderers in the Ridgeons League First Division.

It was Town’s fourth successive league win and that run has seen them find the net 17 times. They now stand fifth in the table, seven points behind leaders Cambridge University Press having played the same amount of games.

“Our confidence is sky-high,” said manager Mark Scott. “We don’t fear anybody, the lads are very relaxed and play their game without worrying about the opposition.”

But the manager also had a word of caution, adding: “We don’t want to get carried away by our position – fifth is a little false because teams around us have games in hand. But the pressure is on them, they have got to win their games, we have done our bit.”

Town had a great start when Dixon fed Blake on three minutes and he gave the visitors the lead.

Town looked dangerous every time they pushed forward and Bolton and Jones both went close. Wanderers’ first real threat came on 17 minutes when Swann had a shot saved by Fancett. Wanderers went close again on 25 minutes when Swann broke through the Town defence but shot wide.

Thetford increased their lead on 32 minutes when Blake beat the offside trap to curl a lovely shot past the keeper. Blake then should have completed his hat-trick when through on goal but was denied by the keeper.

Most Read

Fancett came to Town’s rescue just before the break when he tipped a goalbound shot round the post for a corner.

Town started the second half well and Dixon put a good effort just wide.

Wanderers reduced the arrears when they were awarded a penalty which was converted.

However such is the confidence of the team that two minutes later Joseph made a good run down the left, passing to Blake who this time made no mistake for his hat-trick.

Wanderers saw an effort come back off the post, but Town made it four when a flick on from Blake found Dixon who went past the defender and slotted it home.

Wanderers scored their second when they beat the offside trap to give Fancett no chance, but Town wrapped up the scoring in the closing minutes when Tavares scored from a free-kick which gave the keeper no chance.

Team: Fancett, Joseph, Howard, Carter, Bailey, Jones (Mann), Bolton (Haynes), Tavares, Clayton, Dixon, Blake.

n This Saturday, Town entertain Whitton United, who are unbeaten since August (kick-off 3pm).