Best-time buzz for cyclists
ALTHOUGH many cyclists compete in time trials with little hope of featuring in the prize list the main aim which keeps them going is to achieve a personal best time.
ALTHOUGH many cyclists compete in time-trials with little hope of featuring in the prize list the main aim which keeps them going is to achieve a personal best time.
Cycling Club Breckland's tandem duo of Don Saunders and grandson Declan Davis did that with a vengeance in Saturday's 10-mile event, promoted by Lea Valley CC.
In near gale-force winds the pair knocked 34 seconds off their previous best time of 25 minutes 25 seconds to record 24:51 and come fifth in the tandem event.
Club-mate Mark Fairhead rode in the solo event finishing in 25:03. Due to the blustery conditions there was a poor attendance at the midweek club event when Adam Cross turned in the fastest time of 24:58 followed by Mark Fairhead (26:14), Vince Gedge (27:02) while tandemists Don Saunders and Declan Davis timed in at 26:02.
You may also want to watch:
Strongly supported by CC Breckland since its inception The Ride for Life raises money for East Anglia's Children's Hospices (Each).
Sunday's event saw another side to Declan Davis when he completed the 10-mile off-road route along with his five-year-old cousin Tom, his uncle Jason, his mother Heidi and his grandma Heather.
- 1 Road closed and two people taken to hospital following Lakenheath crash
- 2 Fighter jets from RAF Lakenheath to fly over London NFL games
- 3 The story of Mildenhall's workhouses uncovered after 100 years
- 4 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 5 New community hub for Thetford after girl's terrifying attack
- 6 New phase of consultation over major estate revamp to begin
- 7 Community should have bigger say on development, says councillors
- 8 GPS equipment stolen from five tractors in village
- 9 An A to Z of East Anglian cider
- 10 Norfolk Covid-19 case rates increase slightly, with 55 in hospital
His sister Emily, grounded due to injury, was at the Beachamwell checkpoint.