Beccles RUFC 12 Thetford RUFC 26
- Credit: PA
Preparations for life in Eastern Counties One have stepped up for Thetford with a good pre-season victory at Beccles.
The last meeting between the two teams was a 68-7 win for higher-level Beccles, who play in London Three North East, when Thetford hosted them last year.
Thetford started the game on the front foot and applied plenty of pressure but the first try of the game was scored by Beccles, who pounced on Thetford’s ill-discipline at the breakdown to create an overlap in the Thetford 22 and finish in the right-hand corner.
With the game split into four quarters as part of pre-season preparations, Thetford dug deep to survive some pressure through to the first break.
More penalties were conceded by the visitors as they struggled to find their form, until they were awarded a penalty in their own half which Will Martin quick tapped and carved his way through the Beccles defence to scored his first Thetford try under the posts, leaving an easy conversion for new boy Luke Boynes.
You may also want to watch:
Beccles were reduced to 14 before the quarter was over which meant Thetford could use the man advantage but an unlucky knock-on from Max Wilson after he used Ryan Gardiner down the left wing meant that after 40 minutes the score was 7-7.
Thetford were reduced to 14 after the break when new captain Waters was yellow carded for a late tackle on a Beccles player, allowing the hosts to drive over from a lineout.
- 1 7 big concerts scheduled for Norfolk in 2021
- 2 Start date for phase two of 5,000-home development, after land bought near A11
- 3 £60 fine for resident who drove six miles to dump household rubbish in public bin
- 4 Man fractured partner’s cheekbone after making machete threat to sister
- 5 What was ‘strange stretched circle’ spotted over Norfolk skies?
- 6 Norfolk in Tier 2 of coronavirus restrictions, government confirms
- 7 What does tier two mean for you? Step-by-step guide to new rules
- 8 Why have Norfolk and Suffolk been placed in Tier 2?
- 9 Arrest after man found with wooden baton and £30,000 in cash
- 10 Six-year-old cycles 100 laps to raise money for homeless
With Beccles also down to 14 after a player was sent to the sin bin after playing the ball on the floor, Thetford got back into the Beccles 22 and scored again because of some smart play by Wilson to create an overlap so Martin could go over and score a try, which he then converted.
Thetford led 14-12 going into the final quarter but tries from replacement Harvey Taylor, again converted by Martin, and Clark ensured the visitors sealed a 26-12 victory.
The Enviro-waste back of the match award was given to Luke Boynes, with forward of the match going to Gary Lawrence.
Thetford’s next match is their first league game back in EC1 away to Wisbech on Saturday, September 13 and the Heathens second XV’s first game is against Norwich Medics at home on the same date.