Beard turns on the style to win Thetford Golf Club’s Summer Meeting
- Credit: Archant
Andrew Beard produced a fantastic round of 45 Stableford points to win Thetford Golf Club’s Summer Meeting.
Andrew, playing off 12, got off to a great start with birdies at the third, fifth and sixth holes on the way to 23 points on the front nine.
A steady second nine of seven pars and just two bogeys meant he was round in 75 to beat his handicap by nine strokes.
Tom Fitchew, playing off nine, was runner-up with 42 points while Ian Ramsay (10) finished third with 41.
A total of 58 players took part and in lieu of entry fees they donated £165.50 to the On Course Foundation.
Leading scores: 45 Andrew Beard (12), 42 Tom Fitchew (9), 41 Ian Ramsay (10), 40 Terry Stephenson (12) and Matthew Foulds (11), 38 James Camilleri (9), Craig Estlea (12), Dave Bennett (15) and Peter Croker (11), 37 Rob Johnson (12), Paul Garnham (10), John Ward (10), Peter Allott (5) and Ian Farnham (5).
The Ladies’ Maeer Salver was won by Sharon Caws with 38 points off a handicap of 15. Second place went to Heather Keeble (13) with 37 and Dawn Davies (21) was third with 36.
- 1 7 Norfolk pubs that have reopened with new landlords in 2022
- 2 7 roadworks Suffolk drivers need to know about this week
- 3 First-time publicans transform their local and are already winning awards
- 4 Pair accused of dangerous driving on A11 set for court
- 5 Appeal for more Suffolk blood donors to prevent stocks running low
- 6 More F-35 squadrons to be stationed in Suffolk to boost US presence
- 7 Seven Suffolk villages that have received national recognition
- 8 Remarkable life of the Duleep Singhs explored in new exhibition
- 9 Try roasties topped with pulled pork at town’s new street food business
- 10 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and meteor showers
Kath Malvern (6) won the Business Ladies’ Trophy with 32, three more than Andrea Fletcher (23) with Carolyn Beaumont (17) third with 26.
There was a disappointing exit from the Gillieson Trophy when Thetford ladies lost 2-1 at home to the Links, West Runton, in the second round. Shelly Pleasance and late replacement Margo Horsburgh won the opening match 3 and 2 but the other two pairings were well beaten in the county inter-club foursomes event.
There was an exciting finish to the top-of-the-table clash in Division Three of the NLCGA Inter-Club League when Thetford and Dereham finished all square at 3.5-3.5. Unusually Thetford’s top two players were beaten, but Heather Keeble and Wendy Puttock secured comfortable wins. Jan Bone held her nerve to halve her match and after another defeat it was left to Margo Horsburgh to secure the draw with a win in the bottom contest.
In the Norfolk Handicap League Thetford drew 2-2 with leaders Costessey Park. Terry Stephenson and Arron Gaskell and Robbie O’Brien and Ryan Woods were the winners for Thetford.
July Midweek Medal: Mark Lingard 78-12-66, Ian Brown 82-15-67, David Hudson 75-7-68.