Battling Brandon put on a better display
Brandon Town 0, Mattishall 2
BRANDON hosted Norfolk Senior Cup holders Mattishall at a foggy Church Road on Saturday.
Once again the Town pack had to be shuffled, with Paskausas and Bethell returning to the starting line-up and promising teenager Josh Green taking a place on the bench for the first time, after impressing for the U18s.
Town started on the back foot and Barlow had to be alert and quick off his line several times in the opening exchanges.
Once Field and Butcher got to grips with the tricky wingers, Town started to grow into the game.
Tuffs and Winstone were dealing well with the big Mattishall centre-forward and Bethell and Porter were looking dangerous on the wings, one with his pace the other with his aerial threat at the back post.
Town could have gone in front just before the break when Ruiz sent Bethell clear and his excellent cross was met by the head of Bland, but the keeper did well to keep it out.
- 1 Homes destroyed after blaze breaks out in terraced housing
- 2 100 East Anglian events you cannot miss this summer
- 3 Thetford homes left with 'significant' damage following blaze
- 4 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 5 Man charged after robbing bookmakers with a knife in Suffolk town
- 6 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 7 Man caught drink driving over three times the legal limit in Suffolk town
- 8 Share of £120,000 cash pot on offer to Breckland groups
- 9 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 10 Former military man appointed as council's new chairman
The second half was end to end, with both teams looking for the vital breakthrough.
Town sent on Jarrett in place of the tiring Paskausas, but it was Mattishall who got the breakthrough goal.
Town lost possession high up the pitch and a long ball caught the Town back line offguard.
The forward raced through and rounded Barlow for an easy tap-in.
The second goal for the visitors came right at the death. Winstone slipped and left the forward one-on-one with Barlow, and the striker hammered it home for 2-0.
A much better performance from Brandon, who battled well throughout.
On Saturday, Town are at home to Sheringham, 2pm kick-off.
Brandon Reserves also went down 2-0, away at Reepham, after a good battling display in which keeper Joe Clements played well.
This weekend they are away, at Saham Toney.