All set for cup battles
THE Snailwell Cup semi-finalists are are all set to do battle.
The games are both at Mildenhall Town FC: Thetford Rovers v Soham United, Tuesday, April 26 (ko 7.45pm) and Hundon v Sporting 87 on Tuesday, May 3 (ko 7.45pm).
The first semi-final features Thetford Rovers, the current cup holders having beaten Brandon Town in last year’s entertaining final.
The second semi features Sporting 87 who reached the same stage last year and are looking to make it to this year’s final to be held at Lakenheath FC on Sunday, May 15.
This is its traditional place in the footballing calendar – the day after the FA Cup final at Wembley.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesperson for the cup competition said: “We would love to see as many supporters as possible attend what are traditionally competitive and entertaining matches with the bar available for refreshments, and the floodlights adding some atmosphere.”
One of only a handful of charity cup tournaments in England, Snailwell and District Challenge (Charity) Cup has been providing a worthy knock-out competition for local teams within a 20-mile radius of Snailwell since 1925.
- 1 Wanted man identified after Thetford shop burglary
- 2 Father and son admit handling stolen power tools
- 3 Bryan Cranston to Meghan Markle - how USO show brings stars to our region
- 4 Work starts on new £4.2m housing project in Norfolk village
- 5 Man due in court in connection with Norfolk stab attack
- 6 Night out safety advice issued after drink-spiking reports in Norfolk
- 7 Four-car crash leaves pregnant woman in hospital
- 8 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 9 21-year-old airlifted to hospital after car crashes into trees
- 10 Sex abuse survivor hits out at attacker's sentence
The competition continued up until 1938 when war broke out. It was not until 1956 when the cup was rediscovered, on the bar shelf of The Fox pub in Burwell, that the competition began again in 1957 and has been going strong ever since.
Several thousand pounds have been raised over the years for various local charities and each year the winning team are asked to identify a local charity of their choice who also receive a donation.