A show of force from Thetford as they close in on title after big victory
- Credit: Archant
Thetford’s first team went into the game knowing that league position meant nothing and Bury were going to be a stern test.
The score line eventually flattered Thetford but the players were on fire.
The packed side-line did not have to wait long for the first points as the men of Thetford capitalised when captain Chris Thomas opted to kick a penalty for the corner and it eventually resulted in Aaron Stokoe burowing his way over the line.
Rob Duchesne then ran 60 metres to score shortly after to put Thetford firmly in control.
Bury wasted a good position from a penalty and from a scrum Luke Bailey picked up from the base and fed Thomas who released Ryan Gardiner to make 40 metres. The ball was quickly recycled and Waters broke the line. Always composed he passed to Josh Clark who outpaced the opposition to score in the corner.
You may also want to watch:
Duchesne then got his second of the afternoon when he dummied his way through the line to score.
The last score woke up the Bury backline who were now making yards with big carries but their tries would come from the line speed they were now operating with. The Bury 13 was a handful and in the last five minutes of the half he picked off two passes and registered two interception tries.
- 1 Wanted man identified after Thetford shop burglary
- 2 Father and son admit handling stolen power tools
- 3 Night out safety advice issued after drink-spiking reports in Norfolk
- 4 Bryan Cranston to Meghan Markle - how USO show brings stars to our region
- 5 Man due in court in connection with Norfolk stab attack
- 6 Work starts on new £4.2m housing project in Norfolk village
- 7 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 8 Four-car crash leaves pregnant woman in hospital
- 9 21-year-old airlifted to hospital after car crashes into trees
- 10 Retired firefighter looks back at four-day Thetford factory blaze 30 years on
The second half was far more exciting as the fitness of Thetford paid dividends. Martin got in on the scoring after a quick tap and go and he added two more tries in quick succession, benefitting from the hard working Harper and Clark centre partnership.
Gardiner scored his brace next with slick hands giving him the outside shoulder of his opposite man.
A try of the year contender was scored next as Thetford went into offload overload. The ball going through six sets hand giving Harper the walk over try.
Duchesne completed his hat-trick but the Bury pack ran riot from the next kick off forcing a spilt ball, which was pounced on by their scrum half.
Another three offloads allowed the outside centre to complete his hat-trick.
Thetford then reasserted themselves and finished the game off with two more tries form Martin and Mitch Steven.
The final score was 81-19 and Thetford have five more games to secure their top spot.