Young adults take on Thetford garden project
A group of teenagers and young adults have tackled an overgrown garden which was handed to the community at a special launch.
The plot of land at Thetford Fire Station was transformed by a group of 10 from Team 56 of the Princes Trust Team Programme who dug, replanted and hauled plats over four days of hard work.
The newly-planted garden was handed over in a ceremony on Friday and will now be open and available to the community and schools.
Jennifer Doran, 23, of King’s Street, Thetford, who has been unemployed for four months, said a number of fundraising events, including bag packing and presentations at DIY store B&Q, had raised �1,000 for equipment, turf, shingle and plants.
“We decided on the community garden because it needed a lot of work but it’s not been easy - we’ve only had four days to do this,” she said.
“Everyone’s got really stuck in and we’ve really worked our bottoms off. We’re all pretty excited about the end result.”
The Princes Trust Team is a 12-week personal development course which offers work experience, qualifications, a residential week and community project.
- 1 Try roasties topped with pulled pork at town’s new street food business
- 2 Pair accused of dangerous driving on A11 set for court
- 3 First cases of monkeypox reported in Suffolk
- 4 Chase Star to perform at Thetford comedy club
- 5 Woman in her 50s who died in A11 crash named locally
- 6 Food review, Lime Kiln Kitchen: ‘A truly relaxing place for Sunday lunch’
- 7 New homes plan for former coal yard
- 8 Man charged with burglaries, dangerous driving and assault
- 9 New Latin American restaurant opening at Center Parcs in Elveden
- 10 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and two meteor showers
The group of young people, aged between 16 and 23, dug up 1,800 square feet of land, de-weeded, laid paving, moved a large shed, and planted shrubs and climbing plants.
Miss Doran, who now hopes to work with young people in the future, added: “Personally, I came on the course for employment opportunities and confidence building and personal development.
“It’s helped a lot because they’ve had me in team leader positions as well so I think, although there’s a few weeks to go, I’ll be in a better position after this.”