Work under way on new Wetherspoon pub in Thetford
Work has begun on a �1.3m revamp to bring a former town centre pub back to life.
National pub chain JD Wetherspoon is set to open the former Red Lion on the Market Square in Thetford in July, creating 40 jobs.
The company, known for its cheap-priced beer and food, will completely refurbish the building, which is owned by the town council.
Thetford mayor Derek Mortimer said: “By having a national company bring this development about it will invigorate the town centre which can only be a benefit for Thetford as a whole.”
Wetherspoon chairman Tim Martin said the building would become would be a “first class” pub.
You may also want to watch:
A name is yet to be chosen but will relate to historic links in the town.
- 1 Driver escapes serious injury after 4x4 flips onto roof
- 2 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 3 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 4 Fiat 500 thought to be stolen found crashed into wall
- 5 Drug-dealers caught in undercover police sting
- 6 'Fantastic' students donate funds from cancelled prom to children's hospice
- 7 Man charged with drink-driving on the A11
- 8 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 9 Dog walker given £5,000 reward after finding stolen machinery
- 10 Covid case rates continue to fall across Norfolk and Waveney