Work under way on new Wetherspoon pub in Thetford
Work has begun on a �1.3m revamp to bring a former town centre pub back to life.
National pub chain JD Wetherspoon is set to open the former Red Lion on the Market Square in Thetford in July, creating 40 jobs.
The company, known for its cheap-priced beer and food, will completely refurbish the building, which is owned by the town council.
Thetford mayor Derek Mortimer said: “By having a national company bring this development about it will invigorate the town centre which can only be a benefit for Thetford as a whole.”
Wetherspoon chairman Tim Martin said the building would become would be a “first class” pub.
You may also want to watch:
A name is yet to be chosen but will relate to historic links in the town.
- 1 What is the fuel situation looking like in Thetford?
- 2 Harley-Davidson motorcyclist dies in A134 crash
- 3 How 'inadequate' school is making strides towards 'bright future'
- 4 Van overturns while trying to enter A11 petrol station
- 5 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 6 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 7 Thetford man charged with abduction of 17-year-old girl
- 8 Drivers delayed following accident in Brandon
- 9 Thetford man wanted in connection with assault
- 10 Norfolk man in a relationship with teen he abducted, court told