Work under way on new Wetherspoon pub in Thetford
Work has begun on a �1.3m revamp to bring a former town centre pub back to life.
National pub chain JD Wetherspoon is set to open the former Red Lion on the Market Square in Thetford in July, creating 40 jobs.
The company, known for its cheap-priced beer and food, will completely refurbish the building, which is owned by the town council.
Thetford mayor Derek Mortimer said: “By having a national company bring this development about it will invigorate the town centre which can only be a benefit for Thetford as a whole.”
Wetherspoon chairman Tim Martin said the building would become would be a “first class” pub.
You may also want to watch:
A name is yet to be chosen but will relate to historic links in the town.
- 1 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
- 2 Death of woman at country park being treated as 'isolated incident'
- 3 Seven months in prison for burglar who stole cash from church cafe
- 4 Woman cut from car after crash on A11
- 5 'We're lost without him' - Family's tribute to teen hit-and-run cyclist
- 6 Councillor accused of spreading 'damaging disinformation' on facemasks
- 7 Burger and Italian restaurant set to open at town's riverside complex
- 8 Investigation launched after swan killed by illegal fishing net
- 9 'We know who they are' - two thieves raid church foodbank
- 10 Three people - including two teens - injured in shotgun attack