Weekend trouble cut in Thetford
Ian Clarke Town centre crime on busy weekend nights in Thetford has been cut by a third after police patrols were stepped up.Thetford Safer Neighbourhood Team (SNT) has been visiting licensees, speaking to people and being more visible in the town on Friday and Saturday evenings.
Town centre crime on busy weekend nights in Thetford has been cut by a third after police patrols were stepped up.
Thetford Safer Neighbourhood Team (SNT) has been visiting licensees, speaking to people and being more visible in the town on Friday and Saturday evenings.
Compared to this period last year there has been a significant reduction in crime (33%) of anti-social behaviour incidents and other related crime in the town centre linked to weekend evenings.
Thetford SNT Sg Ed Brown said: “We've really seen the benefits of regular engagement with licensees. There is so much to be said for the police being visible and accessible to people using the town.
“Feedback has been incredibly positive and this has been backed up by a significant reduction in reported crime associated with alcohol and disorder.”
- 1 Homes destroyed after blaze breaks out in terraced housing
- 2 Thetford homes left with 'significant' damage following blaze
- 3 100 East Anglian events you cannot miss this summer
- 4 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 5 Man charged after robbing bookmakers with a knife in Suffolk town
- 6 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 7 Man caught drink driving over three times the legal limit in Suffolk town
- 8 Share of £120,000 cash pot on offer to Breckland groups
- 9 Former military man appointed as council's new chairman
- 10 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
Sgt Brown added: “Policing the town doesn't have to be confrontational and our increased presence is not solely meant as a deterrent to anti-social behaviour. We're here to listen and engage with the people of Thetford, perhaps the sort of person who doesn't normally come along to our neighbourhood meetings.
“However, we will move swiftly to deal with people causing problems and then work with licensees to ensure trouble-makers are banned from their premises.”
To contact Thetford Safer Neighbourhood Team call 0845 456 4567 or e-mail email@example.com.