Warning over pool
Townsfolk have been asked not to restock a pond with fish as it naturally refills after being drained earlier this year.The water was removed from Northwell Pool in Swaffham in February after it became contaminated with sewage.
Townsfolk have been asked not to restock a pond with fish as it naturally refills after being drained earlier this year.
The water was removed from Northwell Pool in Swaffham in February after it became contaminated with sewage.
The pool, which sits at the corner of New Sporle Road and Northwell Pool Road, is now being left by Anglian Water and it has said water levels should rise again in the coming months.
But the company has warned that although many in the town see it as a recreational area, Northwell Pool is in fact an integral part of the county's waste water system and it is unfair to introduce fish into it.
The pool regularly takes in road and excess surface water and there is the ever present threat of sewage pollution.
A spokesman said: “This is not a village pond - this is part of the system.
- 1 Thetford homes left with 'significant' damage following blaze
- 2 Man charged after robbing bookmakers with a knife in Suffolk town
- 3 Man caught drink driving over three times the legal limit in Suffolk town
- 4 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 5 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 6 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 7 Two Norfolk spots named among best places in Britain for a weekend break
- 8 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
- 9 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
- 10 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
“It is a balancing pool and takes overflow surface water. It is not meant to be full of water all the time.
“People in the area have been stocking the pool with fish but we try to tell them not to because it is not clean water.”
All the fish died in February due to the sewage contamination, which was cause by a blocked pipe causing a backup of sewage.
Anglain Water said it tried to avoid such incidents happening wherever possible.