Warning about bogus callers
Emma Knights Businesses in the Breckland area are being warned to be wary of bogus callers after a Dereham company was phoned by somebody claiming to be from Breckland Council today.
Businesses in the Breckland area are being warned to be wary of bogus callers after a Dereham company was phoned by somebody claiming to be from Breckland Council today.
The caller said they had called to arrange a business rate rebate and asked about the company's normal payment methods.
But the person taking the call became suspicious before any details were given and reported what happened to Breckland.
A spokesman for the district council said: “It is not normal practise for council officers to call regarding this type of matter and if they did they would already have the customer's payment details to hand.
“Customers and members of the public are advised not to reveal payment or bank details over the phone unless they are absolutely sure the call is genuine.”
- 1 Anger as 'rollercoaster' appears at bottom of woman's garden
- 2 'Could have caused explosion': Eco-warrior stops Thetford fire spreading
- 3 Revealed: Why wasps chase you and how to get rid of them this summer
- 4 Town to host free outdoor screening of Encanto with street food stalls
- 5 Driver who altered date on expired Blue Badge ordered to pay out £3,500
- 6 Shed left destroyed after garden fire in west Suffolk
- 7 'People won't be able to afford to eat' - Locals warn Truss on living costs
- 8 Dog owners urged to take 'five-second test' before walking pets in heat
- 9 Council fighting not to have to publish details of golf club talks
- 10 'Incredible' firefighters spend nearly 12 hours tackling forest blaze
If you receive a call from someone claiming to be from Breckland Council and suspect that it may not be genuine call Breckland's customer contact team on 01362 656871.