Warning about bogus callers
Emma Knights Businesses in the Breckland area are being warned to be wary of bogus callers after a Dereham company was phoned by somebody claiming to be from Breckland Council today.
Businesses in the Breckland area are being warned to be wary of bogus callers after a Dereham company was phoned by somebody claiming to be from Breckland Council today.
The caller said they had called to arrange a business rate rebate and asked about the company's normal payment methods.
But the person taking the call became suspicious before any details were given and reported what happened to Breckland.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for the district council said: “It is not normal practise for council officers to call regarding this type of matter and if they did they would already have the customer's payment details to hand.
“Customers and members of the public are advised not to reveal payment or bank details over the phone unless they are absolutely sure the call is genuine.”
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 2 Fighter jets from RAF Lakenheath to fly over London NFL games
- 3 GPS equipment stolen from five tractors in village
- 4 New community hub for Thetford after girl's terrifying attack
- 5 New phase of consultation over major estate revamp to begin
- 6 Man wanted for Thetford assault found dead after 10-month disappearance
- 7 Elizabeth Truss and Dominic Raab to share access to mansion after PM ruling
- 8 'Like a little Hitler' - Fury as row breaks out at council meeting
- 9 Community should have bigger say on development, says councillors
- 10 Do you remember when Tornado's rumble caused village uproar?
If you receive a call from someone claiming to be from Breckland Council and suspect that it may not be genuine call Breckland's customer contact team on 01362 656871.