Warning about bogus callers
Emma Knights Businesses in the Breckland area are being warned to be wary of bogus callers after a Dereham company was phoned by somebody claiming to be from Breckland Council today.
Businesses in the Breckland area are being warned to be wary of bogus callers after a Dereham company was phoned by somebody claiming to be from Breckland Council today.
The caller said they had called to arrange a business rate rebate and asked about the company's normal payment methods.
But the person taking the call became suspicious before any details were given and reported what happened to Breckland.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for the district council said: “It is not normal practise for council officers to call regarding this type of matter and if they did they would already have the customer's payment details to hand.
“Customers and members of the public are advised not to reveal payment or bank details over the phone unless they are absolutely sure the call is genuine.”
- 1 Brandon man handed three-year restraining order by judge
- 2 Police continue probe into murder of woman at country park
- 3 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 4 Norfolk attractions enjoy 'amazing' Saturday as visitors flood back
- 5 Coronation Street star's surprise message to Norfolk care team
- 6 Corrie McKeague inquest will not probe police investigation
- 7 Death of woman at country park being treated as 'isolated incident'
- 8 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 9 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 10 Woman, 73, convicted of forging second deceased partner's will
If you receive a call from someone claiming to be from Breckland Council and suspect that it may not be genuine call Breckland's customer contact team on 01362 656871.