War hero to speak at awards ceremony
Falklands War hero Simon Weston is to be guest speaker and compere at an awards ceremony to honour unsung heroes in Norfolk.The 2009 Pride In Breckland Awards are being organised by the district council to find people who make local communities a better place to live in.
Falklands War hero Simon Weston is to be guest speaker and compere at an awards ceremony to honour unsung heroes in Norfolk.
The 2009 Pride In Breckland Awards are being organised by the district council to find people who make local communities a better place to live in.
The search is on for those who have done selfless acts, devoting time and energy to help others, displayed bravery in tough times and recognising people whose actions, strength and support has made a real difference.
Mr Weston, OBE, has displayed amazing inspiration since the war in the South Atlantic.
You may also want to watch:
A Breckland spokesman said: “The face of the Simon Weston who returned from the bombing of the Sir Galahad is recognised the world over, not for his disfigurement from 46pc burns but for the optimism which he radiates. His determination has inspired courage and the will to excel in countless others. Simon's message is one of achievement, of triumph over adversity, of seizing the moment and succeeding.”
Mr Weston will be at the awards event at Lynford Hall, near Thetford, on March 20.
- 1 Mini science centre to feature at town's riverside development
- 2 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 3 'Vital' washing and cooking facilities to help homeless opens in town
- 4 Before the blaze: Elveden Forest Center Parcs in its early years
- 5 Mother still 'grieving' for son who suffered life-changing brain injuries in crash
- 6 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 7 Wanted man arrested in Dereham
- 8 Norfolk County Council elections 2021: Who is standing in Breckland?
- 9 Logs spill across A47 after lorry and tractor crash
- 10 Team GB athlete to inspire pupils to get healthy with visit to school
The deadline for nominations is January 31 and there are nine categories - Carer of the Year, Community Group of the Year, Greener Breckland, Sporting Excellence, Top Achiever, Child of Courage (under 16s), Good Friend/Neighbour, Young Performer(s) of the Year (under 21s) and Safer Breckland.