War hero to speak at awards ceremony
Falklands War hero Simon Weston is to be guest speaker and compere at an awards ceremony to honour unsung heroes in Norfolk.The 2009 Pride In Breckland Awards are being organised by the district council to find people who make local communities a better place to live in.
Falklands War hero Simon Weston is to be guest speaker and compere at an awards ceremony to honour unsung heroes in Norfolk.
The 2009 Pride In Breckland Awards are being organised by the district council to find people who make local communities a better place to live in.
The search is on for those who have done selfless acts, devoting time and energy to help others, displayed bravery in tough times and recognising people whose actions, strength and support has made a real difference.
Mr Weston, OBE, has displayed amazing inspiration since the war in the South Atlantic.
A Breckland spokesman said: “The face of the Simon Weston who returned from the bombing of the Sir Galahad is recognised the world over, not for his disfigurement from 46pc burns but for the optimism which he radiates. His determination has inspired courage and the will to excel in countless others. Simon's message is one of achievement, of triumph over adversity, of seizing the moment and succeeding.”
Mr Weston will be at the awards event at Lynford Hall, near Thetford, on March 20.
- 1 Roads to have speed limit cut to 30mph after death sparks campaign
- 2 Serious road crash hotspots in Norfolk revealed as fatalities fall
- 3 'A posy fit for a Queen' - Winners crowned in school Jubilee competition
- 4 Escaped cows block traffic on A1065 in Suffolk
- 5 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 6 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 7 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 8 Education bursary worth £1,000 launched to mark Queen's Jubilee
- 9 WATCH: Big Jet TV films at RAF Lakenheath to mark new Top Gun movie
- 10 Homes destroyed after blaze breaks out in terraced housing
The deadline for nominations is January 31 and there are nine categories - Carer of the Year, Community Group of the Year, Greener Breckland, Sporting Excellence, Top Achiever, Child of Courage (under 16s), Good Friend/Neighbour, Young Performer(s) of the Year (under 21s) and Safer Breckland.