War hero to speak at awards ceremony
Falklands War hero Simon Weston is to be guest speaker and compere at an awards ceremony to honour unsung heroes in Norfolk.The 2009 Pride In Breckland Awards are being organised by the district council to find people who make local communities a better place to live in.
Falklands War hero Simon Weston is to be guest speaker and compere at an awards ceremony to honour unsung heroes in Norfolk.
The 2009 Pride In Breckland Awards are being organised by the district council to find people who make local communities a better place to live in.
The search is on for those who have done selfless acts, devoting time and energy to help others, displayed bravery in tough times and recognising people whose actions, strength and support has made a real difference.
Mr Weston, OBE, has displayed amazing inspiration since the war in the South Atlantic.
You may also want to watch:
A Breckland spokesman said: “The face of the Simon Weston who returned from the bombing of the Sir Galahad is recognised the world over, not for his disfigurement from 46pc burns but for the optimism which he radiates. His determination has inspired courage and the will to excel in countless others. Simon's message is one of achievement, of triumph over adversity, of seizing the moment and succeeding.”
Mr Weston will be at the awards event at Lynford Hall, near Thetford, on March 20.
- 1 Thetford man charged with abduction of 17-year-old girl
- 2 Drivers delayed following accident in Brandon
- 3 'Ugly' Norfolk pub fight was sparked by act of revenge, court hears
- 4 Island park to be named in honour of town's Sikh links
- 5 Farm's 'Goats at Home' service booms after lockdown
- 6 Thetford man wanted in connection with assault
- 7 Police appeal for dashcam footage after man died on A11
- 8 Thetford Forest invites runners to enjoy fresh air and scenery
- 9 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 10 Two 'cowardly bullies' sentenced for Christmas attack at Center Parcs
The deadline for nominations is January 31 and there are nine categories - Carer of the Year, Community Group of the Year, Greener Breckland, Sporting Excellence, Top Achiever, Child of Courage (under 16s), Good Friend/Neighbour, Young Performer(s) of the Year (under 21s) and Safer Breckland.