10 walking trails which allow you to explore the beautiful Brecks
PUBLISHED: 10:30 21 January 2018 | UPDATED: 10:54 22 January 2018
The Breaking New Ground Landscape Partnership, which worked to reconnect people with the Brecks, has created a leaflet of walking trails for people to explore the beauty and diversity of the area.
• The Great Estates Trail, Lynford, 4.75 miles
The route crosses land once owned by the Buckenham Tofts Hall, Didlington Hall and Lyndford Hall Estates.
• The Forest trail, Santon Downham, 4 miles
Starting in the village, the trail goes through parts of Thetford Forest and crosses the Little Ouse river.
• The Wildlife Trail, East Wretham, 6.5 miles
During this walk you may see some of the many species the Brecks is known for including hares, deer and birds.
• The Pingo Trail, Stow Bedon, 7 miles
The route allows you to explore the rare pingo ponds which were created at the end of the last ice age.
• The Flint Trail, Brandon, 1.5 miles
Once the flint capital of Britain, this trail highlights Brandon’s heritage and architecture.
• The Churches Trail, Icklingham, 6.75 miles
There are five churches on the route which also passes through the classic Brecks feature of Scots pine rows.
• The History Trail, Weeting, 3.25 miles
One of the oldest inhabited places in Norfolk, the village is home to Weeting Castle.
• The River Trail, Abbey Heath, 4.25 miles
Starting at Two Mile Bottom the trail shifts from river to forest. Otters regularly use the Little Ouse here.
• The Heathland Trail, Knettishall, 5.75 miles
The linear trail mainly follows the ancient Peddars Way Roman road and explores the heathland landscape.
• The Architecture Trail, Thetford, 2.50 miles
The town is home to an array of historic buildings including the ruins of the Priory of Our Lad of Thetford.
For more information visit the Breaking New Ground website
Trail information can be found here.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Thetford and Brandon Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.